GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Superchargers

Jr. Engineer

Default Superchargers

Hey guys,

I Got a 93 burb, completely rebuilt the entire drivetrain about 3 years ago, and put about 50k on it since
    I did so.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good kit I could install on this beast, its a 350 with TBI, I love this truck, and its a toss up between the 383 stroker I want, and a blower. I want the blower for reliability, but lets face it... a stroker is.... well a stroke.. nuff said.

I Want reliability, as this is my daily driver, but I Want more power for hauling my trailer through the mountains, and well... for fun as well.

thanks a lot

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

I was recently checking out some vortech blowers for my '01, the kit was $4500. I think a custom turbo setup would be cheaper than that, and make more power. Unless you can find a used blower setup for cheap (or know someone that can fabricate exhaust piping), you'd probably be better off going aspirated with the 383.

EDIT: vortech's website is vortechsuperchargers.com
    Last edited by GrandPrix46; 04-11-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: adding info

Jr. Engineer

well,

Ifound a procharger kit with an aftercooler, and a weiand twin screw setup closer to an eaton m90 supercharger like the ones found on grandprix gtps. Both kits come fully ready to install and can be done in 6-12 hours in a shadetree situation.

both are in the 5k range (CAD) so I dunno what do you think? I honesly could buy a 383 longblock assembly for that much up here and just drop it in.

I like the reliability of a blower though.

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Legend

I would go with the stroker, i think you would get better use of power with all the added torque at the low end.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Engineer

I agree with you about the stroker, however, I live in canada, and its my daily driver... I NEEED it to be reliable..

Quote Originally Posted by L0sts0ul View Post
    Reliability of a blower?
    Have you had a vehicle with a blower before?
    The blower itself may not break a lot (but when they do its catastrophic and usually takes the whole engine)but keeping a forced induction engine running correctly is a pain in the butt, they require constant tweaking and tuning, altitude and weather can make a difference in the way these things run when your pushing them for optimum performance. I have 2 Supercharged trucks right now (99 Tacoma 3.4 with a TRD Blower and 7th injector kit, 97 Suburban 7.4 with a Vortech twin screw blower for sale).
    Add to the cost premium fuel because they hate to run on anything less (Octane additive in the bottle doesnt get the job done).
    If your looking for a tow rig and in town play toy the stroker motor would be a better invesment. A Blower kit runs between $2K and $7K without any ignition add ons or fuel system upgrades. Yes you will gain performance, but your still running that old engine with XXX amount of miles that was just handed a shorter life span, and if you dont get the ignition dialed in correctly and end up with the common problem of spark knock you'll be looking for new heads soon.
    A stroker can be done for under $3K but probably end up closer to $5k, but now you have a freshly rebuilt engine.
    And since youve added all that horsepower you better start saving for a trans rebuild or replacement and some work on the rear diff to upgrade or change it.

well,

Ifound a procharger kit with an aftercooler, and a weiand twin screw setup closer to an eaton m90 supercharger like the ones found on grandprix gtps. Both kits come fully ready to install and can be done in 6-12 hours in a shadetree situation.

both are in the 5k range (CAD) so I dunno what do you think? I honesly could buy a 383 longblock assembly for that much up here and just drop it in.

What is the compression ratio of your engine? With flat top pistons i'm guessing over 10.0:1? With a CR that high, you're not going to be able to run very much boost. Not sure if 5-6 psi will give you more power than the 383 would, not to mention you will HAVE to run premium fuel, and having some way to tune the fueling/timing of your truck would be a good idea. Do you trust your head gaskets with that much cylinder pressure?

As far as reliability, GTP's run 200k+ miles easily, and they come non-IC from the factory (albeit with 8.5:1 compression), so a blower is as reliable as anything else as long as the vehicle is tuned properly with no detonation. Anything under 30% throttle = no boost anyways, and I only go above 30% when i'm trying to haul ass, so 90% of the time i'm not in boost.

In your case i'd go with the 383, i've built plenty of SC 3800's, but if I had the option of going with a 383 V8, i'd go that route in a heartbeat. Get it built with 9.0:1 compression or so, and turbo it later on (when you can afford a built trans and rear).
    '00 Blazer 2WD 4.3L: Stock
    '01 Suburban 2WD 5.3L: Stock (for now)
    '97 GTP: Intake, exhaust, intercooled, tuned, and pullied
    '06 Yamaha FZ1 1WD 998cc: No mods needed