GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default My Gas Mileage and Question About Active Fuel Management

I have a new 09 Silverado 1500 crew cab with the 5.3 flex fuel active fuel management engine. I wanted to check highway gas mileage as accurately as possible. I went to a specific gas station, picked the most level pump and filled up with 87 octane on the slowest feed setting until it automatically kicked off. I drove 140 highway miles round trip using cruise control set on 60 mph. I filled up again at the "same station, same pump and same slow feed until it automatically kicked off." Results 23.7 mpg . . . . I was thrilled with the results. I followed the same procedure again a week later for a round trip of 188 miles (this time part of the trip included a tour through an RV campground with some very steep hills . . . . therefore I knew my gas mileage would not be as good. Results 22.0 mpg . . . . again, very happy . . . . . . . . MY QUESTION: I NEVER SEE AN INDICATION DISPLAYED DIGITALLY THAT THE ENGINE HAS SWITHCHED TO 4 CYLINDERS . . . . WHY???

if you have an LTZ, look at the 4 little buttons stacked up to the right of your steering wheel, press the top button until your dash says "INST ECONOMY" and it will give your MPG and tell wether it is in V8 or V4. and if you have an LT the buttons are left of your steering wheel.