GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Autoride

  1. #1
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    13

    Default Autoride

    I have a 2006 3/4 Ton Suburban with an 8.1, 4 whl drive and Autoride. Has anyone tried to change the rear ride height ? I've heard that shortning the length of the rod that connects the axel and the lever arm to the ride sensor will reduce the ride height. Has anyone tried this ? and how did it work ? Hooking up my 31' Airstream even with a power jack is a bear because it needs to be extended all the way up for the existing ride height. I've already dropped the ball on the equilizer hitch down to the lowest level for hookup.

  2. #2
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    26

    Default

    yes cutting that rod will help, but if you don't want to shorten the rod, you can disconnect the airline that goes to each individual rear shock and plug it back in when you are hooked up.

  3. #3
    Jr. Engineer Jacqson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbob View Post
    I have a 2006 3/4 Ton Suburban with an 8.1, 4 whl drive and Autoride. Has anyone tried to change the rear ride height ? I've heard that shortning the length of the rod that connects the axel and the lever arm to the ride sensor will reduce the ride height. Has anyone tried this ? and how did it work ? Hooking up my 31' Airstream even with a power jack is a bear because it needs to be extended all the way up for the existing ride height. I've already dropped the ball on the equilizer hitch down to the lowest level for hookup.

    2500 Suburbans do not have the Air pump with the air shocks like the 1500's. All Autoride is on the 2500's is what is called BSRTD(Bi State Real Time Damping). The rods you are talkng about are called Position Sensors and they are used to adjust shock damping depending on your road conditions. You may have to find a hitch that drops down lower than the one you have because the rear of your Sub isn't going to go any lower.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

    "Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

    SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

  4. #4
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    2500 Suburbans do not have the Air pump with the air shocks like the 1500's. All Autoride is on the 2500's is what is called BSRTD(Bi State Real Time Damping). The rods you are talkng about are called Position Sensors and they are used to adjust shock damping depending on your road conditions. You may have to find a hitch that drops down lower than the one you have because the rear of your Sub isn't going to go any lower.
    Hey Jacqson, thanks for the input. Are you saying that the existing static ride height is a constant ? Its been very difficult to find anyone who really knows the ins and out of the 2500 Burb Autoride system. Mostly confused with the 1500 Levelride. I've wondered if the only solution was to drop the height of the ball to level the trailer.

  5. #5
    Jr. Engineer Jacqson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbob View Post
    Hey Jacqson, thanks for the input. Are you saying that the existing static ride height is a constant ? Its been very difficult to find anyone who really knows the ins and out of the 2500 Burb Autoride system. Mostly confused with the 1500 Levelride. I've wondered if the only solution was to drop the height of the ball to level the trailer.
    Yep, the existing static ride is a constant. Other than trying to get your rear springs lower you will have to drop the height of the ball to level the trailer. I have written threads on how to completely remove the Autoride system from a 2500, if you're interested let me know.

  6. #6
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    Yep, the existing static ride is a constant. Other than trying to get your rear springs lower you will have to drop the height of the ball to level the trailer. I have written threads on how to completely remove the Autoride system from a 2500, if you're interested let me know.
    Thanx again Jacqson, looks like I'm going to need a xtra long drop bar for the ball as I can't get it any lower than it is now. Would be interested in your threads in case I need them down the road when something fails on the existing system. I hear replacement parts are spendy.

  7. #7
    Jr. Engineer Jacqson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbob View Post
    Jacqson, I luv it. Thanx for all the additional info. Did your static ride height drop with the Bilsteins on all 4 corners ?

    Nope, No change in ride height, although the ride was a little better with the Bisteins and the removal of the Auotride.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbob View Post
    I have a 2006 3/4 Ton Suburban with an 8.1, 4 whl drive and Autoride. Has anyone tried to change the rear ride height ? I've heard that shortning the length of the rod that connects the axel and the lever arm to the ride sensor will reduce the ride height. Has anyone tried this ? and how did it work ? Hooking up my 31' Airstream even with a power jack is a bear because it needs to be extended all the way up for the existing ride height. I've already dropped the ball on the equilizer hitch down to the lowest level for hookup.
    I realize this is an old thread but the situation is so similar to mine I thought I would add to the discussion. We will be purchasing a draw bar with a longer drop in order to hitch up our trailer and tow it level. Our new (to us) 2005 K2500 Suburban is several inches higher than our 1996 C2500 Suburban. New vehicle, new hitch set-up.

    I'll have to take a closer look under the K2500 to see what the shocks look like. It hasn't been obvious to me on the forum or on mfr web sites that the 2500 shocks are different than the 1500 shocks. Sounds like the 2500 shocks are a simpler system.

  9. #9
    Jr. Engineer Jacqson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nyvestysly View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but the situation is so similar to mine I thought I would add to the discussion. We will be purchasing a draw bar with a longer drop in order to hitch up our trailer and tow it level. Our new (to us) 2005 K2500 Suburban is several inches higher than our 1996 C2500 Suburban. New vehicle, new hitch set-up.

    I'll have to take a closer look under the K2500 to see what the shocks look like. It hasn't been obvious to me on the forum or on mfr web sites that the 2500 shocks are different than the 1500 shocks. Sounds like the 2500 shocks are a simpler system.
    The 2500 shocks just have position sensors and the BSRTD. That's it, no air shocks.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    The 2500 shocks just have position sensors and the BSRTD. That's it, no air shocks.
    Thanks for the reply Jacqson. I see from your posts above that you've described transitioning from BSRTD shocks on the 2500 to non-BSRTD shocks. If you have time to post the links to those threads it would be helpful.

    What are your thoughts on the ride, cost, etc. of the non-BSRTD now that you're a few years into it? I look forward to hearing about your experience. My new (to me) 2005 Suburban has 86k miles. Things like shocks may need to be replaced in the next year or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Similar Threads

  1. autoride suspension
    By heavychevy85 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 2
    Last: 12-30-2009, 11:10 PM
  2. Autoride not working
    By bbeethe in forum Lifted & Offroad Suspension
    Replies: 0
    Last: 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
  3. New Shocks and Autoride
    By Mr Dawg in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)
    Replies: 7
    Last: 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM
  4. 3/4 ton autoride shocks
    By phxsub in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)
    Replies: 4
    Last: 01-30-2009, 06:38 PM
  5. Autoride problem?
    By scottvan in forum Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)
    Replies: 4
    Last: 01-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •