GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Best shop manual?

Hey guys I was just wondering if you could chime in on which shop manual is the best.

Thanks,
    Eric
    2003 Silverado with 5.3, cat-back flowmaster 40 series, leveling kit with pro-comp AT's on DC-1's

Helm makes the best manual IMO. They are not cheap though. This is what most service departments use at dealerships, so I have been told. I ordered 1 for my truck and it is 4 books about 4' thick.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r=
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have had Chilton, Hayne's and a few other one's which have been all good, but when I bought my Helm's manuals for my Silverado and S-10 they took the cake. They will tell you everything and then some, I would die without them!

2 votes for Helm's!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

The Helm (Factory Service Manuals) are the most informative, but not the most readable or straightforward. Lots of page-flipping when following diagnostic procedures. That said, if you carefully follow their instructions you won't go wrong. EVERYTHING is in them - every wire, every part, every subassembly (and how to rebuild all of it).

The Haynes manuals are the most readable, but not as much information as the factory manual. Still, good for most DIY maintenance tasks (brakes, fluid changes, engine accessories, etc.)

The Chiltons manuals tend to be condensed versions of the factory manuals, kind of the worst of both worlds - the unreadability of the factory manual combined with the limited information of a Haynes.

For my vehicles I usually buy a Haynes manual right away, then order a Helm manual later. For some reason I always keep the manuals when I sell the vehicle - makes for a nice library.
    Kirk
    Norwalk, CT