GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1st. post...1st. truck problem

All,
    My name is Jimmy. I purchased a 2008 Silverado, 6 cyl., automatic, with 8000 miles last Friday. I took it to work today, a seventy mile round trip. Going to work everything was normal. Halfway home the check engine light came on. Engine temp. seemed normal @ 210 degrees F. The transmission temp toppped out @ 195 before arriving home. I called the dealer and will take it to him for testing/code checks (8 miles away). I looked in the manual for the normal operating temp. for the trans, as 195 seems high. My questions are: what is normal operating temp for the trans? Are the check engine light and trans connected? Thanks in advance for info or suggestions. Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy jim View Post
    All,
    My name is Jimmy. I purchased a 2008 Silverado, 6 cyl., automatic, with 8000 miles last Friday. I took it to work today, a seventy mile round trip. Going to work everything was normal. Halfway home the check engine light came on. Engine temp. seemed normal @ 210 degrees F. The transmission temp toppped out @ 195 before arriving home. I called the dealer and will take it to him for testing/code checks (8 miles away). I looked in the manual for the normal operating temp. for the trans, as 195 seems high. My questions are: what is normal operating temp for the trans? Are the check engine light and trans connected? Thanks in advance for info or suggestions. Jimmy

195 is a little high, at least for a v8 with no load or anything. mine usually runs around 135-140 but when i'm towing something heavy or hauling im usually up around 200-215ish. im not sure if v6 are different then the v8s.

this was a post a few weeks ago that was discussed on here. take a look if you're interested http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19946

and, welcome to the site!
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox