GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Scratched

Default Scratched

Someone scratched my truck pretty good on the drivers side door.But just out of curiousity I was wondering how much everyone thinks it would cost to have a shop totally repaint the truck.It's a 03 ext cab silverado.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-71 View Post
    Someone scratched my truck pretty good on the drivers side door.But just out of curiousity I was wondering how much everyone thinks it would cost to have a shop totally repaint the truck.It's a 03 ext cab silverado.
    How bad a scratch?

You could try my old stand by method

If its not too deep go to some place like wal mart and get a small can of #7 Polishing compound* or Turtle Wax Brand Polishing compound*. Runs about $2-$3 dollars and is enough to do a couple of cars
    Follow the instructions on the can and depending in the depth the scratch may just buff right out! if not it will be alot less noticeable.

BE SURE TO GET POLISHING COMPOUND (ITS WHITE INSIDE) NOT RUBBING COMPOUND (RED INSIDE)
    The rubbing compound is strong stuff and can remove paint
    Source(s):
    http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,14

* A pre-softened paste that instantly shines new life and color into dull faded finishes.
    * Quickly and safely removes oxidized pigment, heavy road film, dirt and stains.
    * Goes on smoothly, contains no harsh abrasives.
    * Cleans all painted metal, chrome and porcelain surfaces.

here the scratches are

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0295.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	2449

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0300.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	2450

I would give it a shot! heck its less than $10 for the polish and some rags and some elbow grease.

You should have seen some of the marks I was able to rub out on my friends truck where someone had brushed up to a pole.

I might give it a shot but I'm kind of picky.It also has some dings in it so I thought I could have it re-painted and gravel gaurded.And while I was at it get a spray in bed liner.But I don't know...I would have to sell some stuff to get it all done if it was a lot.It would be nice if I could get a good job done for 3k but I don't think that will happen.

Ouch! Those are nasty scratches! Let us know how it turns out.
    Jeff

2009 Silverado LT Ext Cab 5.3 L, Blue Granite Metallic
    2008 GMC Acadia , grocery getter :)

i have a scratch on my third door that i didnt notice when i bought the truck... so i am definitely going to try that polishing compound...glad i read this thread.. thanks
    Zach
    2005 Silverado 4x4
    5.3L V8

Quote Originally Posted by 1stTRUCKsilverado View Post
    i have a scratch on my third door that i didnt notice when i bought the truck... so i am definitely going to try that polishing compound...glad i read this thread.. thanks
    Use it with a cloth diaper or a soft towel and it should do pretty good.

I had a present from the parking lot I found today looked like someone brushed up next to the truck and a rivet or something on their jeans left a scratch.

A little compound and it came right out!

The marks from buggies it can get out also but not when the paint is gouged.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Default paint

You are probably looking at between 3 and 5 thousand for a decent complete job of the same color.

dude it shouldnt be that much it isnt like Foose is doing the job. 2000 to 2500 to get it re done all they need to do is colorsand the truck and repaint the spots that that dont get. The truck will look brand new and you wont be hurt on the pocket. IT shouldnt be no more than a grand to do that. I just had mine done and it had scratches over the entire truck and it is a 08 and it cost me 1500.00 let me know how it works out.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper