GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default OBDII Scan Tool Not working

I am trying to use my scantool http://www.obd2allinone.com/sc/details.asp?item=obd2usb to read my 99 Suburban LT and I keep getting an error reading. I have tried numerous freeware software and all have a problem reading. I can take the setup to my 97 Maxima and it reads just fine. I see that it's OBDII any idea why I cant read it?
    Last edited by i_build; 04-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have a pretty good idea what your problem is, you tipped me off by saying that it worked on your foreign car and not your GM. There is such a thing as a generic OBD II which will scan most 1996 and newer imports such as Ferrari, Bentley, BMW, Mercedes, Aston Martin, and such. Then there is what is called the GM specific OBD II which will scan 1996 and newer GM, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile and so on. That is the only thing I can think of right now, hopefully some one else will be able to pitch in too.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Can you be more specific as to the error. It seems the most common error I see mentioned is a "no power" or "can't communicate with vehicle" kind of error. A large majority of the time, the vehicle power supply to the OBD2 connector has failed. And, quite often, that is a blown fuse (cigarette light fuse, I believe). Anyway, my first suggestion would be to check for power to the connector.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Take a ride up to Autozone or Advance and see if they can scan it for you that way you can eliminate the scanner or the plug.

If you need a new scanner check out this line

http://www.auteltech.com/ms409.htm

Works on all 1996 and later OBDII compliant US, European and Asian vehicles

● Retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3, and U0) and manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) codes
    ● Supports CAN (Controller Area Network) and all other current
      OBD-II protocols
    ● Built-in OBD-II DTC lookup library

Runs about $80

It could be that the speed of your device is too fast for the truck's computer.

You have to slow it down with a small script with a program like Hypertherminal.

You can check this blog :

http://www.carplugs.com/blog

I am getting power from thr port because my reader has a light and I have been getting errors that say it cant communicate and 1 software package said the data returned was invalid. The reader has transmit and recieve lights and both blink so I'm assuming data is going back and fourth. My best bet as mentioned it to bring it to the auto parts store and have them try to read it. Will post back results after.
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

Quote Originally Posted by i_build View Post
    I am getting power from thr port because my reader has a light and I have been getting errors that say it cant communicate and 1 software package said the data returned was invalid. The reader has transmit and recieve lights and both blink so I'm assuming data is going back and fourth. My best bet as mentioned it to bring it to the auto parts store and have them try to read it. Will post back results after.
    I tried using my scanner on a friends Ford truck and it wouldn't read it because it was the CAN protocol OBDII. Don't know if you scanner is CAN compliant or even if your vehicle is using CAN. Next time I upgrade scanners I'll definitely be looking for CAN capability.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap