GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default want to change my lug pattern

First i would like to say hello since i'm new to the forum. Now my problem is i have a 1994 chevy suburban 2wd with a 454. I am wanting to change the 8 lug pattern to a six or a five lug(prefer six). If anybody has any info or knows a way of doing any ifo would be great thank you very much.

any body please i need help

Well you haven't received any replies because most guys have never heard of doing this. Plus you didn't say if you have a 2X or a 4X4. Anyway the answer is simple. Change your complete rear end to a 10 bolt from a half ton pick up. That's the easy part. The front end is another story. You would have to adapt 1/2 ton spindles to your 3/4 ton A arms. This can be done but it will require metal fabrication. When you are done you will have wasted your money on a major downgrade. What am I missing here?
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

actually he did say it is a 2wd, but oh well

and why would you want to do this? if you have an 8 lug, then you will be able to do a whole hell of a lot more with this truck than if you were to change to a 6 or less
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I see he did say it was a 2WD now. Guess I need some stronger glasses. <G> I'm thinking he found some wheels and needs to make them fit the truck. Just a SWAG
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Agreed. If you have 8-lug tires and a big-block, you either have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck. If you were to convert down to 5 or 6 lugs, the parts that would enable this would cause you to lose your high weight rating and make the truck less useful for towing. If you got some free/cheap rims with a lower lug pattern, it is my opinion that you could probably get new rims with the correct lug pattern for cheaper and easier than it would be to convert your truck to 5 or 6 lug rims... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

thanks for the info but the rim thing is definitly wrong i was just wanting to lower the truck a little bit and it seems they only make lowering kits for the 1500 but i don't want to change my towing capabilities thanks again for all the info

you don't need to change your patter for that they make all sorts of kits for your truck its the 4x4 that they don't have any for
    http://www.google.com/products?q=94+...ring+kit&hl=en
    95 gmc k2500 sle 7.4L

You definatly do NOT want to downgrade your axles. I have an 87 3/4 ton burb and had to go to full foatl axles in order to hold up to towing a farm tractor. I can tell you from experience the 1/2 ton axles are weak. I tried several 1/2 tons before going to 3/4.

Legend

Get a rear flip kit, the axle is currently under the rear spring s, this will mod to put the axle over the springs, giving you about a 2" drop in the rear, this will probably bring your truck to level anyway, you should be able to get shorter front springs, have you looked at styling trucks, they have them from belltech, it doesnt say anything about 1/2 or 3/4 ton so you can call them and they can tell you what they have, or if you can afford it just get airbags and then you can raise or lift at will
    Last edited by vncj96; 05-17-2009 at 10:31 AM.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16