GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I just used black bumper spray paint from auto zone.... My plastics look like there from the factory..... The bumper spray leaves the bumper color looking like new, not all shiny or weird! The color is identical with the black trim... You guys should try it on a small part and see if you like it
    Joser
    2001 Silverado 5.3L
    13% tint all around
    7" Fabtech lift kit w/ leveling kit
    HD front end conversion
    Blacked out Billet Grille w/ Black Bow-Tie
    33x12.5x20 on 20x10 Fuel Hostage
    Smoked out tail lights
    Dual Flow Masters/ Exhaust Cut outs
    K&N CAI
    Custom Tuner
    Corvette Servo
    180 Stat
    10K HIDs

"Spending money on things we dont need to impress people we dont know"

Jr. Apprentice

Used Bondo Back to Black gel on the sail on my Avalanche in April as per my previous post.....including the area over the top of the 3rd brake light which weathers really badly. Truck is not garaged.....been through a few rains and has the afternoon sun beating directly on the sail and tonneau covers and saddle bags. Never washed since the initial application. STILL JET BLACK and not ready yet for a redo......the area above the 3rd brake light is still black, but may soon need a redo because slight streaking with grey is starting to show......still looks a helluva lot better than the area the same time after it was previously redone with Mothers......all my remaining Mothers thrown out because I was pissed that I had wasted so much time rubbing with it in the past to get such lousy results when compared with the Bondo....and because the the running boards, and top rear bumper cover done with Mothers at the same time as a comparison have greyed out already.

Jr. Apprentice

Made a mistake in my last post......Product is called Bondo Restore BlacK.......and it still looks good after 15 month without a wash or wax......still acceptable but slight grey streaking like applicator lines starting to show up close.....nothing like the original damage which was all greyed out.....time for a redo.

15 months is a lot of time to go by and still look good. If I had any black trim on my truck I would keep this stuff in mind.

I'll try the Bondo Restore Black ! I have a lot of black trim on my vehicle!

We’ve been using Armor All too but if Bondo Restore Back to Black can protect it for a long time, then it’s worth to try! Thanks for sharing that info.

Hmmm… now I have another item on my list in terms of maintaining my black trims. I’ve been using Mothers Back to Black too and it works pretty fine for me.

I bought the Turtle Wax version and it works pretty well. It does leave a coat on the plastic though which I'm not crazy about. I was using the TW bug and tar remover this weekend to remove some bugs and found it does a nice job at getting rid of old wax on plastic without leaving a residue. I will be using this going forward.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Jr. Apprentice

I guess it is whatever works best with the least amount of effort......I was fairly greyed and the Mothers darkened it only with a lot of scrubbing and it was never a completely uniform black......the Bondo goes on nice and easy. If you do not garage the vehicle, after a few weeks to about 3 month with the Mothers the color fades and needs another redo whgich is not possible in Winter months, so it looks like crap again by the Spring........one good thing about Mothers is you can use it on the grey cladding like Chrysler grille/bumpers and probably Avalanche grey side cladding......whereas the Bondo is only jet black. I had just waxed and redid the Bondo in hopes of trading it in on a new '12 Avy with the body color option that gives you painted Escalade sails, saddlebags, tailgate lip, and full length LED 3rd brake light bar.....which eliminates the problem forever.

The problem was that it looked soooooo good that I couldn't do it and traded the wife's Tahoe on the new Avy (of course this was last minute so I didn't tell her ahead of time). Turned out to be a win-win because she likes the '07 Avy better than the Tahoe......wider rear door, more room in the back seat and the Nav/rear camera when backing out did the trick. Plus she figured out that by folding the rear seat cushions forward with the seat backs up you can pile in much more groceries than previously in the back of the Tahoe and as a bonus all the 24 pack of paper towels can go in the bed.....and no more pulling and storing those useless "kiddie" size third row seats which we never used. Deal was that I have to provide wash and wax for the life of the vehicle, so looks like I'll be buying more Bondo for the '07.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0524.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	41566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0526.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	41567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0527.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	41568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0532.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	41569

I use Adams VRT it has SPF 30 UV protection. For the hard to reach areas I use Adams In & Out Spray.
    2012 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
    Airaid Jr. Magnaflow RC level Cooper Zeon LTZ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123