GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2000 chev 2500 4l80E hard shift codes included

I've gotten some really hard shifts lately after coming off the freeway with my 2000 chevy 3/4 ton with the 4l80e tranny. Noticed that the torque converter wasn't locking up when this happens. Pulled the codes and got P0741 (tcc perform. or stuck off) and also P1870 ( Trans. Component slipping). Truck has the 6.0L and 230,000 kms or 144k miles. Read a lot about it. What do you guys think I should start with? I do quite a bit of monkey wrenching myself and have no problem with replacing the torque converter and I could take my valve body out for a shop to ream and re-valve? I'm sure there are other things that could be going on as well. Just want someone with more knowledge than me to lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Don
    Last edited by beyondhope; 04-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.

No one wants to have a go at this one?

Don,

With that many miles on your tranny you could have a worn out valve body and a worn out converter. When was the last time the transmission was serviced?
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I changed the fluid and filter about 6000 kms ago. Fluid looked good and didn't smell burnt. I also took off the inspection cover to look at the torque converter and it didn't seen to have any hot spots. Do you think it's a good idea to just start with the valve body and if that doesn't fix it, change the converter. While I'm in there, should I change out the solenoids?

Don,

What I would do if it were my truck rather than throwing parts at it would be to clear the codes. Then drive the truck with a scanner attached that is capable of taking a movie. Most good scanners like the Snap On, Genisis, Tech II, Master Tech etc. can take a movie. Then when the problem occurs you will see exactly what caused it. The movie will capture all the information on the sensors both before and after the code sets. It may be a solenoid or an input speed sensor or a voltage problem of some sort. This would be my recommendation.

Legend

You should be able to rent one at oreillys,autozone or advanced auto instead of buying one.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Good advice guys. Thanks. I cleared the codes the last time I had them read. I should try and borrow the one I used last time.

I have the same problem with my 01 2500, pulls a p1870 (component slipage) after hwy driving. No evidence of any actual slipping fluid looks good, have pulled a camper-no problems. Flow chart is not great...check this...check that...rebuild trans.lol

There is a gm pi that states if no solution is found replace torgue converter. It is for the 4l80e trans only (2500) I think I'm going to try the converter but want be for a few weeks.

Here is a copy of the pi

Anybody else had this prob?

#PIP3047A: 00-01 4L80-E Harsh TCC Apply/DTC P1870 or P0741 - kw 4L80E apply automatic converter DTC hard harsh shift TCC torque transmission - (Sep 16, 2004)

Subject:00-01 4L80-E Harsh TCC Apply/DTC P1870 or P0741

Models:.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom described in the PI.
    <A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1550127&from=sm#ss1-1550127">Condition/Concern:

2000 - 2001 light duty trucks, vans and utilities equipped with the 4L80E automatic transmission may experience a harsh TCC apply and/or a DTC P1870 or possible P0741.
    <A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=1550127&from=sm#ss2-1550127">Recommendation/Instructions:

Now that you have completed the service diagnostics in SI with no resolution, replace the torque converter to repair the concern.
    Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Well, I changed the valve body out for a remanufactured one and the torque converter is still not locking up and I'm still getting hard shifts after driving for a while on the highway. Doesn't seem like it shifts quite as hard but that could just be me hoping that it's fixed? I'm thinking the torque converter is next to change out but it's a bit bigger job and I'm not looking forward to it. I just can't stand having a shop work on my truck when they'll probably just throw parts at it like I will but charge me an arm and a leg to do it.

Don,

What code<s> are setting to cause the harsh shifts? If it's still setting the TCC slip codes you can drrive your truck with a scanner attached to it and lock the converter with the scanner. If the converter is bad it won't say locked up and it will slip under heavy throttle. OR, I guess you could continue to throw parts at it. <G>

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by