GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Vibration after installing new rims and tires

I know this has been posted before but I already went through the usual fixes. New rotors , NAPA Premium Ultras and new pads. The wheels were torqued not air gunned. The balancing was checked. 18" after market rims with 275/65/18 Hankook RF10s. The vibration is real bad at 45 mph and it pulses at slow speed. Since the new rotors and pads it has improved but not gone. I found this posted on another thread;
    The factory puts on two copper keepers over the lug nuts to help with installing the rotor. These keepers are two per wheel, they are smashed in when the wheel is set with an impact gun. Did you pull them off when you replaced the wheels. I was told by a trusted GM mechanic that those can make aftermarket wheels wobble.

I assume they mean the copper rings they put over the studs to hold the rotor on. Has anyone else heard of this. By the way the truck is an 07 Silverado NBS ext cab LT2 Z71 with discs up front and drums in the rear. I am at the end of my rope!!!! Any help would be soooo appreciated!!
    The diference between stupidity and genius is that genius has limits.

2007 NBS Silverado
    LT2 Z71
    2.5" Levelling Kit
    Hood Stripes
    Chrome Grill
    GM Bed Liner & Tonno
    Dick Cepek Rims 18X9
    Hankook RF10 Tires 275/65/18
    De-Badged Tailgate

More Mods Coming

Jr. Apprentice

Hi Bob,
    are you sure your tires are perfectly round?
    I had the same problem and fixed it when I realized that one of the totally new Pirelli tires was not round, because of a manufacturing fault.
    Peter

1996 GMC Yukon SLT Sport 4X4 Drive, 5,7 litre Vortec, Hi Jackers,

I have absoluely no problems when I am not on the brakes. No vibrations, tracks nice and straight......wouldn't I have problems all the time if a tire was out of round? Thanks for the reply though.

Anyone have any ideas? I posted to keep the thread fresh on the forum!

Legend

So this only happens when you are on the brakes, if thats the case your rotors are not truely flat they are warped. If when driving it could just by that way, my truck does it depending on which tire/wheel i have at what corner, so once they stopped i just never rotated the tires again and no problems, not even my shop could figure it out.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

It's very possible that in the however short time you've had with the new rotors that because of the large increase in tire diamter and weight, you have warped the brand new rotors. You went from a presumably stock tire of somewhere between 28-29 inches to about 32 inches. That's more than the typically reccomended 6% tire size change. You should have at the same time upgraded your brakes to a big brake kit or some other performace braking system to accomodate the additional heat that would be generated by trying to stop significantly larger meats. Unfortunately, most probably the only way you will be able to detect this warping is with a dial indicator. Take it to a brake shop and have them put the dial indicator on to check for warpage.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

First, I only increased the overall diameter of the wheel and tire combo by less than 1 inch. 265/75/17 replaced with 275/65/18. The diameter increase is about a 1/2 inch. I cannot see increasing the brakes for 1/2" of increase. The tires are brand new so the rotation should not matter. The rims are hub-centric and are new also. When I say that I put new rotors and brakes on, I mean I put them on new and it did the same vibrationion as soon as I pulled out of the shop, no time to warp. Thanks for the replies.....anybody have any other ideas! I dropped the truck off a the shop I purchased the wheels and tires and told them I want to be reimbersed for the rotors and brakes and either find out what the problem is or refund my money for the wheels and tires. They remounted the factory rims and tires and guess what......no vibration! They are as confused as me it seems but what else can I do. Thanks guys for your replies, I AM STILL AT THE END OF MY ROPE! HELP!

Legend

Not everything that is new is perfect, rotors can come warped! I have had it happen. And yes by increasong your rim diameter it can trough things off, ESPECIALLY in todays computer aided braking. Its called ROLLING MASS. While your overall dimension may not be that much bigger you have increased the amount of metal by going to a larger rim size, adding more weight, this can through off the calibaration of the ABS sensors. Just because you went to an aftermarket whell doesnt meant they are lighter material, many factory wheels are getting lighter as well. So get your rotors checked and if thats not it then get the overall weight of your new rims and tires versus your old ones.

VNCJ96, Thanks for he reply, I will measure the weight of the rims. Today I had the rotors and rear drums checked and..... no problems. I/the shop did discover that, while rebalancing the rims, that the wheel center caps only fit on their own rim????? When the rims came in they were checked for fitment before tires were mouned. They fit fine, "supposedly" , obviously the lug pattern was correct but the hub diameter was not correct. If you take a center from one wheel it will not fit on another!!! I t seems I have been given 2 rims with one hub diameter and 2 rims with another hub diameter but the lug pattern is the same. These are supposed to be hubcentric rims!!!!!!!!!!!, .......................so I blew a gasket, Uncomfortable,......... but it is in the hands of the wheel manufactrurer now. I will not be able to get a straight answwer until Monday. At least "their" version of a "straight" answer........................THE PLOT THICKENS..HELP...HELP...HELP..I'M GOING DOWN FOR THE LAST TIME!!!

Thats all it is. On new body chevys if the new wheels are not hub-centric or have hub rings to make them hub-centric you will always get that vibe. Just have them add them hub rings to the ones that are not HC or order you two new wheels. Either way that should fix your problem
    00' Chevy Z71
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    35's on 18's
    Ranch Hand Grill Gaurd
    SuperChips Programmer
    K&N
    More on the way

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by