GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Spectre HPR Air Filter

I dont know if you folks have seen these yet but they look like a good way to save money and improve gas mileage and go green.
    A air paper air filter for my suburban runs about $25 and it you need to change it about every third oil change - 10k miles, of if you drive on dirt roads or dusty conditions sooner. So I spend about $75 a year on filters multiply that by the life of the truck and that's alot of money!

K&N makes a filter that is serviceable so you can just clean it out and recharge it and keep on trucking cost is around $65-75. Still saves money in the long run though.

Well Spectre has came out with their Spectre HPR line of air filters it uses similar or the same method that other brands do but the cost its ALOT less!

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#HOME
    Spectre Performance Air Filters: use high-quality washable/reusable cotton gauze; provide superior filtration; improve fuel economy; increase horsepower; and do not void manufacturer warranties.

The one for my truck its $29 and you can see it below. That is almost the same price as a throw away paper one but this one has a lifetime warranty! Well I was pretty much sold right there I mean it saves money, increases horsepower, is better for the environment and did I say it saves money! Well it doesnt stop there Spectre is offering a $10 rebate on these filters so now my new filter is down to less than $20!!! Cant beat that deal and if you don't like it what the heck you are still out less than the cost of one paper filter.

The filter has to be ordered they aren't in stock at the stores yet but you can get them online from like jegs and Summit or locally from Advance Auto , Autozone, O'Reillys and if they say they don't have them ask them to look up air filters for your ride and it will come up. The inventory software has been updated apparently but the stores don't all know about the filters yet.

My filter will be here around the 27'th and I will get some more pic for you all when it comes in and then do a MPG test to see if there is any difference.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Legend
    Blog Entries

I was just at Summit Racing on Thursday and I saw a spectre display in the truck section, they were showing a side by side comparison with K&N, VOLANT, and a couple others and they were all very similar. It actually looks a lot like the Summit brand air filters, but I have never tried one yet. You can't beat it for $20 though, can't wait to see pictures of it on your truck.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

It should be here in about 7-10 days!

I decided to go ahead and get another for the other truck and the fellow was like we dont carry those LOL he looked it up and 2 more people had ordered the same filter since this morning, so who was that decided to try one too LOL

You are right for the price they are hard to beat! Will get some pics for ya and see it makes any differences in sound or mpg.

Default The filter is here!

OK I got my filter in today and as promised here are some pics so you can see what one looks like on a truck!

The box

What is in the box

As you can see it comes pre oiled ready to run

The install

Air box

Original style air filer (Fram)

Comparison of old style with new HPR

Install was straight forward just push the filter in place and tighten the supplied clamp

I haven't fired the truck up with it on yet but I don't expect a difference in sound, I'm just finishing a new mpg run so I will refill and see if this really makes a difference.

All in all for $20 you just cant go wrong!
    Last edited by Dr_Zero; 04-30-2009 at 01:43 PM.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Wow it's like a mini K&N filter! I just took my air intake off today, and I swear it sounds better with the stock air box back on it! I can't wait to hear if you get any increases from it, and I think $20 is definately reasonable for it. Heck you can't even get an AC Delco for that probably.

OK went out and fired up the truck with the original in and the Spectre and its really noticeable the amount of air you can hear flowing through the filters. The way the air box is made you don’t hear anything out of the ordinary really.

Out on the road there is a definite improvement one you can tell in throttle response and smoother when accelerating. Really makes you notice the poor qualities of the blended fuel we are getting lately.

This was a inexpensive and easy to do improvement that helps on many levels it gets 4 stars in my book!
    Last edited by Dr_Zero; 04-30-2009 at 01:44 PM.

i have a 96 truck and i took my air box apart with this filter it sounds really good

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by