GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help! Transmission trouble...

Just bought a '92 c1500 5.7 L with 700r4 tranny, the truck sat for 10 months before i bought it and it doesn't want to shift out of 1st until it gets good and warm after about 20 minutes or so. I am going to swap tranny's next week if I can't figure something out. Thanks
    1992 Chevy C1500 Ext. Cab Longbed
    5.7 L FlowMaster 40's w/ chrome duals
    3" Lift
    Needs Paint...and maybe a tranny:no:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.Wayne View Post
    Just bought a '92 c1500 5.7 L with 700r4 tranny, the truck sat for 10 months before i bought it and it doesn't want to shift out of 1st until it gets good and warm after about 20 minutes or so. I am going to swap tranny's next week if I can't figure something out. Thanks
    Have you tried a flush and filter change? No telling how old the fluid is and it could be kinda thick and doesnt thin out enough till it gets warm and flows better and thus the delay in shift times.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zero View Post
    Have you tried a flush and filter change? No telling how old the fluid is and it could be kinda thick and doesnt thin out enough till it gets warm and flows better and thus the delay in shift times.
    Not sure if we "flushed" it, we did change it and put a new filter/gasket in. Someone told me that the o-rings have probably hardened and I could use a "conditioner" but eventually it would eat away the o-rings. if I can't find a permanent solution then I am just gonna swap for a rebuilt one I guess.
    3" Lift

Here's a little trick that just might work if the TV valve is hanging up. You can do this very easily but it takes both hands or a helper. Removing the air cleaner may make it easier if you can't get your hands in close to the TV cable.

First thing you want to do is release the TV cable from the throttle body. Start the truck and make sure it's in park with the E brake on.
    Next use your left hand or have someone raise the engine RPM to about 2000 RPM. Now with the engine screaming at 2K pull the TV cable out all the way and then back in. In and out in and out as fast as your wrist can repeat this action. Do it at least 25-30 times in a row while the engine is running @ 2000RPMs.

This little trick works most of the time on 700R4 transmissions if the TV valve is stick in the valve body.

Try this when the engine is cold and it's acting up. Let us know if this works!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

I will give it a shot, i will let u know.
    3" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Here's a little trick that just might work if the TV valve is hanging up. You can do this very easily but it takes both hands or a helper. Removing the air cleaner may make it easier if you can't get your hands in close to the TV cable.

First thing you want to do is release the TV cable from the throttle body. Start the truck and make sure it's in park with the E brake on.
    Next use your left hand or have someone raise the engine RPM to about 2000 RPM. Now with the engine screaming at 2K pull the TV cable out all the way and then back in. In and out in and out as fast as your wrist can repeat this action. Do it at least 25-30 times in a row while the engine is running @ 2000RPMs.

This little trick works most of the time on 700R4 transmissions if the TV valve is stick in the valve body.

Try this when the engine is cold and it's acting up. Let us know if this works!
    I am gonna try this tomorrow I just have one question, if the truck is in park the whole time, how exactly does this help? I will let u know.
    3" Lift

I am gonna try this tomorrow I just have one question, if the truck is in park the whole time, how exactly does this help? I will let u know.
    Increasing the engine RPM increases the line pressure which in turn helps flush the crap trapped in the TV valve. It will work at an idle too but I've found the high RPMs works best.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1970 Camaro
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    Increasing the engine RPM increases the line pressure which in turn helps flush the crap trapped in the TV valve. It will work at an idle too but I've found the high RPMs works best.
    I really appreciate youur help, it looks like we're just gonna have to replace it, we have a wicked vibration too and we have already checked the u-joints and balanced the driveshaft but it is still there. It must be in the transmission somewhere. The speed sensor gear and sensor itself was bad anyways so it had to be done eventually, I would like to know how fast I'm going and use cruise control from time to time. Thanks for your help Jimmiee!
    3" Lift

You will probably need a new flex plate if you have a vibration.

Make sure you get a second opinion before you buy a transmission. Good Luck!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1970 Camaro