GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Very Nice Writeup!! What size are the factory rear speakers?
    "If orange juice had armpits, maybe."
    -the wife in reference to the smell of JOOSE

Nicely done, I might do the same where mym 4x6s go on the side panels on my reg cab
    2006 Silverado
    Exterior:
    2" Level
    275/70/17 Wrangler AT/S
    17" ATX Thugs

Interior:
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT
    Alpine - 6-1/2 Type R Speakers
    Rockford Fosgate - Punch 12" P3S Sub
    Rockford Fosgate - Punch 750W Class BD AMP

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

There's a problem with this write up.. Those are 5x7's NOT 6x9's.. Sorry.. The factory speaker is a 4x6. I never like the sound from a oval speaker. I've always taken out the Oval speakers in my S-10 Blazer and my Tahoes And made a bracket for A 5 1/4 Mid and Tweeter or a 6 1/2 's Comp's and had a much better sound...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

enk you are that second person to say that not on here but in general dude. lol i have the box and it says 6x9 i think i got had when i bought em my buddy showed me his 6x9 that he did put in his rear doors and they are way bigger and louder. but any upgrade from those stock little things are better to me.
    06 silverado

Awesome write up. I have a pair of Pioneer 4ohm 350watt 6x9s that I am going to try to install in my 07 silverado today. Not sure If I am going to hook up this 400w amp I also have to them or not. I will let you know how it turns out and take some pictures.

Attachment 24958Attachment 24957
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Hey guys,

Just giving you an update... Well it has a rough go on this one. I believe that this how to is for 5x7 speakers and not 6x9s. So far I have about 80% of the first speaker cut out and it doesn't seem like the door panel is going to fit back on. I took some measurements before I began to cut and it seemed like it would be very, very close and it is. Right now I am just hoping that it will end up fitting or else I am going to have to figure out a way to scab my factory speaker back into place. I am kind of nervous about all this now, but know in the end I will get it done either way.

On a better note, I did get my 400w amp hooked up, made sure it powered on, and have the wires run already for the speakers. So as long as I can get the speakers to fit I will be in good shape. Just have to stay determined and motivated for this. Once the dremel battery is charged I will be back at it.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Fail... There is no way possible to fit the 6x9s without major modification of the inner door panel (the plastic one). I could not get the door panel back on without a huge gap at the bottom of the window (even when sticking the component part of the speaker through the opening where the grill cover was), I cut out more than enough room for the speaker and it was still too big for the door. I'm bummed on this one... I have a 2nd amp wired up and ready to go but nothing to power. My advice: either buy 5x7s or don't try this at home.

*edit Maybe something like these will work http://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-Thin.../dp/B000CIMFTE
    Last edited by FrigginNoodles; 02-11-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

why dont you try to find 6x9s with a smaller mounting depth and eliminate the spacers (assuming you have any in place), or sice you now have a gapping hole in your door- fab a mounting plate and hook up a nice component set.....mephis has an awesome set with a 6" sub and mid-high combo that wont disappiont (im guessing your starting from stock here, so if you already have subs you can just go with mids and tweeters)
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Well as I said above those speakers in the first page are 5x7's NOT 6x9's Just look at the tabs... I've been selling them for over 20 years I know what they look like. What is the part # on the back? As I also said above Make a plate for a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 Round speaker (Coax or Comp) You will have much cleaner sound. Also PLEASE stay away from Pioneer speakers unless you like Ear bleeds.. They love to put extra tweeters in them and you lose the midbass...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Hey clgloch,

Thanks for the sympathy. I am contemplating either buying some "slim line" 6x9s or just buying some 5x7s. The hole in my door is crappy, but can't do anything with it but move on for now. My speakers were so close to fitting but just wouldn't make it unless I did some serious moderation to the plastic door panel. I have 2 10" Rockford Fosgates' under my back seat that are a little over-powering (my EQ is: Bass- as low as it goes, Treble- To the max), so I'm not worried about speakers with much bass. I really love these pioneers that I have (had installed them in two previous vehicles). They have an awesome crisp, clear sound to them. So I was really hoping to get them in with my subs. I have been looking around my truck for another place to install them, but can't seem to find anywhere that they will fit. The front door is the only place that appears to maybe be promising for these 6x9s.The problem with the front door is the paneling is a b*tch to get off. I had removed almost all of my front door panel, but got stuck on the window/lock/power mirror buttons, and also on the heated seat buttons. In fear that I would break these I re-assembled my front door panels and called it a day.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on where I could possibly mount these 6x9s it would be greatly appreciated.
    The speaker dimensions are-- Length= 9" Width= 6" Depth=3 1/2" (roughly)

Enkei,
    I saw the posts, but after measuring I knew that it would be damn close. I should have not gone for this. Live and learn. As for the ear bleeders, my system seems so bass heavy I could use some ear bleeders to balance it out. I know I could tune the amp a little, but the subs are hitting great. I have had these speakers for about 6-7 years and they are really nice (maybe used for 2-3 years). They have a good solid bass to them as well. Maybe they don't make pioneers like they used to. I haven't been speaker shopping since I bought these. Anyways the hole is covered and the factory speaker is mounted back with some customizing.
    Last edited by FrigginNoodles; 02-12-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage

really, i never had any trouble withe the door panels, but i guess its just that ive done enough panels that i can figure em out b4 digging in. you should be able to pop your switch panels up and unplug them b4 removing the panel (unless someone has broken and glued them already)
    03 Silverado 1500
    285/75/16 BFG's
    2 Blaupunkt 10" vW1000 subs in Subthump box
    ProComp Level Lift & 3" rear blocks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast