GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default head light problem

I have some projector head lights and iv had them for about a year and one of my lowbeam lights went out. im not that good with electrical stuff but need some advice on how to replace it and was also wondering if there is anywere that i can buy some cheap colored bulbs.

Legend

I cant help with the projector but with how big your truck is be careful with the bulbs you get as it is illegal to have a rainbow effect bulb (the colored halo some bulbs produce, especially chep ones) and I am sure your truck draws attention from the FUZZ already.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

Blog Entries

It really all depends on what kind of projector lights you have. Essentially what you will want to do it pull out the headlight housing and you will notice two plastic/rubber caps on the back with wires that go to them. Just turn, like you're unscrewing a jar, the outer cap and pull back, the lightbulb should come out. Just pop it out of the holder and replace it.

Again- it's difficult to say because of the aftermarket projector lights - although they are built similar they all differ.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well like springthing said there are rubber boots on the back of the headlights that come off and reveal the bulb holder, on mine I had to use a pair of needle nose pliars to pull the two spade connectors off of the housing and bulb itself. Mine were the H1 bulbs in both the high beam and low beam, Also mine are made by Matrix if that helps any but they are all made different. TYC, MATRIX, ANZO, ALTEZZA, which one's do you have on your truck? You shouldn't have to do any wiring at all, just unplug them and put the new one's in.

Here's a picture of the rubber boot with the hot and ground wires coming out of it, just ignore all of the other crap in the picture. Yours should look just like this, visual aids rule!
    Last edited by TRPLXL2; 04-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

alright thanks it seems simple but im not sure what kind they are because they were on there when i bought the truck is there any way i can tell

Legend
    Blog Entries

If you could take a very close picture of one of the headlights, I could tell if it's an Anzo or Matrix headlight just from the design of them. But some of them have a stamp embedded to the outside of the casing, but other than that there is no way to tell really. One major difference you can tell right away is the Matrix have large side LED's which is a replaceable 194 base LED, and the Matrix LED's are a tiny LED which you have to get either on the internet or at Radio Shack and the housing has to be opened to get to these.