GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default throttle body cleaning/ fuel problem

My 02 silverado had been having trouble starting so I replaced the fuel filter & it worked fine.(I replaced the fuel pump last year & I can hear it when the ignition is on.) the next morning it wouldnt start at all so I sprayed carb cleaner into it & it started right up, it will run after the cleaner has burned, it will even turn on/off as normally after that, but once it sits several hours it wont start again. I took off the throttle body & cleaned it careful not to damage any seals or sensors now its running really sluggish & the "service engine" light is on plus it still has has trouble starting. Was I not as careful as I thought? what do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

Legend

Get the code read. Then go from there. Check for your nearest O'Reillys, most have a scanner you can use or try advance auto
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

TBs are pretty fragile - doesn't sound good.
    Don't think Meat - Throw the ball...Crash Davis

Cool throttle body cleaning/fuel problem

You said you used a carb cleaner on your throttle body. Some carb cleaners will eat the clear coating thats on the throttle body blade off. If you use a carb cleaner check the can and see if it throttle body safe. If the clear coating gets removerd this can cause a rough idle and carbon and dirt will builded up.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradotrailblazer View Post
    You said you used a carb cleaner on your throttle body. Some carb cleaners will eat the clear coating thats on the throttle body blade off. If you use a carb cleaner check the can and see if it throttle body safe. If the clear coating gets removerd this can cause a rough idle and carbon and dirt will builded up.

Right on. CRC makes aerosol TB cleaner. It's worth the small investment to have around for all your cars.
    Don't think Meat - Throw the ball...Crash Davis

Unhappy

Is there some way to re-coat the inside of the TB? Do I need a new one? this is the last time I take my neighbors advice! Also I cant figure out why it wasnt starting before & now. I changed the fuel filter, Ive got good pressure, the pump is good, I run 91octane gas.

Cool throttle body cleaning/fuel problem

Theres no way that Ive ever seen to recoat a t/body. Can you see if the coating is peeling, maybe you got lucky and it didnt come off. If you do need a new t/body I got a new one from Scoggin-Dickey after shopping around for the best price. Dont waste your money on a bigger t/body as they really dont help a basic stock motor. I had to replace mine after my black lab decided to take it off my work bench and take it into the woods(this is not the first time shes done something like this) I never have found it.

may want to check your fuel pressure regulator, should be on the drivers side of the motor towards the top just under the lip of the plastic cover, should be a small vacuum line pull that off and if gas comes out even a little then you should replace it

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

thanks for all your responses guys, I dont see any coating chipping or peeling it just looks really clean (shiny)

Have you had the code read? I would start there.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna