GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transmission Removal Tips? 1995 Subrubran

Does anyone have any tips for removing the transmission on a 1995 Suburban 1500 4x4 350?

Driveshaft, trans-x case, and trans mount are already out. My trans case cracked in the back part of the trans, just before the trans-x case adapter. So, the transmission, though functional, is dead.

I know the basic steps for removal, crossmember out, disconnect electronics, linkages, disconnect tc, bellhousing bolts, just curious if there are any pit-falls or special tips for these trucks. Also I hadn't looked but how accessible are the top bellhoursing bolts?

Anyway figured someone has probably already done this and just looking for any tips on snags I may hit. Thinking of doing this on Saturday.

Thanks!

bolts are not to bad to get to
    Tip: assuming the trans is on a jack let the jack down a littler to pull the trans down for easier access

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

I think you about covered it. The one tip I can give you is to take your drive shaft in and have it checked. This is usually the #1 cause of the cracked transmission case!
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Thanks for the tips so far!

Yes I second the driveshaft. I had bad ujoints and believe it caused the cracked case. I didn't notice it after doing the ujoints - the truck drove fine for 8,000 miles but then re-developed the vibration which turned out to be the crack. I believe the bad ujoints caused it, but it was too small to notice, and it just got worse until it became very apparent.

I'm still gonna have the shaft rebuilt if I rebuild the trans - cheap insurance and it appears to have roughed up the ujoints anyway.

Before you drop the transmission, support the rear of the motor with a floor jack or the like. You should be able to catch an edge of the block right where the tranny bolts up. Oh, and you are correct, the top 2 bellhousing bolts will be a major b*tch to get to. Slow and easy wins the race for this task.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage