GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Fog/driving lights on a 1998 suburban

Where is the best place to install fog/driving lights on a 98 suburban (if possible pictures please). I was planning to cut out my lower valance and install 3" or so round fog lights...

Im thing of adding some lights and the option I like is a bull bar you dont have to cut up the truck and the lights are up where you can get some use out of them.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well I don't know how much room you have between your grille and your radiator, but I mounted a set of 6" lights behind my grille on my 05' Silverado and it looks sweet. The light output is very good too, plus you don't have any exposed wires or anything to take away from the front of the truck. Here's some pictures of mine, hope this helps.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/att...1&d=1245260633

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/att...1&d=1245260633
    Last edited by TRPLXL2; 09-29-2009 at 08:09 PM.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I like the bull/brush guard idea.

Alternately, LMC truck has some bumper options where fogs are either sunk into the bumper itself, or I think there is a lower replacement valance that has holes and fog lights can be mounted.

Cutting circles might be tough to make look good. Maybe rectangular lights would be easier. LMC truck also sells lower valances pre-cut for this type of mounting I believe.

There is a difference between fog lights and driving lights.

Foglights provide better visibility in fog, rain and snow. They should be mounted low on the vehicle and it's best if they have a low cut off in order to reduce the amount of light that is reflected from the fog/rain/snow back to the drivers eyes. Fogs should be used with running lights on and headlights off to reduce glare. Generally yellow bulbs are used.

If you just want is more light throw some driving lights on there. Mounting them higher will get better results.
    K1500 1996 Chevrolet Suburban 5.7L

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    Well I don't know how much room you have between your grille and your radiator, but I mounted a set of 6" lights behind my grille on my 05' Silverado and it looks sweet. The light output is very good too, plus you don't have any exposed wires or anything to take away from the front of the truck
    Not to hijack this thread, but what did you mount the lights to behind the grille? I'm planning on doing this and just wondering how some of you accomplished this.
    2004 Silverado Z-71 Ext. Cab
    Volant CAI
    Flowmaster american thunder dual exhaust

Legend
    Blog Entries

Well there are several different ways to mount them behind the grille, the way I mounted mine was actually to the grille itself. There are four holes already in a stock grille at the top, where the radiator shroud sits and gets snapped in with those little pins. I used the two forward facing holes in the grille, I used a 1/4" bolt to hold each light in place. I drilled out the radiator shroud a little bit so it would sit flat on top of the bolt, so basically you go without two of the shroud pins. Another huge factor in this is the fact I have a billet grille insert, this stiffens the frame considerably to make this possible. If your grille is stock it will not handle the extra weight, the 6" lights are very heavy for an unbraced grille. Here's a behind the scenes pic!

The way that most guys hook lights up behind the grille, is to remove the transmission cooler temporarily and remove that bracket that it sits on. They drill a hole in each end of it, and the they mount there lights like that. I didn't want to mess with the factory stuff, which is why I did mine the way that I did. Here's a picture of what I had to work with, so this might help a little more.

2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap