GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Engine warning light

I have an 05 silverado I just purchased. after about 100 miles the engine warning light has come on (not blinking) but steady. I put Mid grade fuel in it about 60 miles ago. I have not driven thru any large puddles, and the fuel cap appears to be on tight? My question is how long does it take for the light to come on if I got bad fuel?? I am consederably concerned since I just bought this truck, but the manual says don't panic until the light is flashing?? Any info would be helpful??
    Converted over from Dodge! After driving my wifes Trailblazer I had to get me a silverado! Chevy man now for good!!

Cool engine warning light

If the light stays on its a emission issue. Some of these codes take several cycles to show up after resetting the ecm to turn off the light. For example if the rear O2 sensor goes bad and you turn erase the code, depending on your driving it can take as little as 50miles and as much as 500miles to turn the light back on. GM does this so if a unusal event happens it doesnt throw a code right away incase the event never takes place again. I would see if you can get the truck scanned to see what code is thrown, erase the code and see if it throws the same code again. Some autoparts will scan your truck for free.

Sr. Apprentice

Got m answer! Went down to Oreillys auto store and the guy read the code. Turned out to be the gas cap? It was on tight, but probably didn't have a good seal so I got a really good locking one! Thanks to all who read this and thanks to Oreillys!!!
    Last edited by Hoyt06; 04-22-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    Converted over from Dodge! After driving my wifes Trailblazer I had to get me a silverado! Chevy man now for good!!

mine has thrown the o2 sensor code twice in the last 2 weeks. it says o2 sensor heater circuit. bank 1 sensor 2. the code was p0141. guess im gonna have to replace hope it isnt the cat. have read on here that its the driver's side the one after the cat. just had to replace the alternator, idle pulley and belt.
    Last edited by etpn13; 04-23-2009 at 12:48 AM.
    01 silverado z71 5.3L

mods: kenwood mp238 hu w/ sirius satellite radio
    kenwood 3 way 6 3/4 front door speakers. kenwood 4x6 rear.
    blaupunkt 200a powered sub.
    flowmaster 40 series dual exhaust.
    k&n 57 series cai
    vent shields
    bug deflector
    garmin 755t gps

110,000 miles

future mods: throttle body spacer, new plugs and wires, and programmer. a/t or m/t tires.