GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Angry my g80 went south need to replace pic& sound

Well I need to replace my carrier since it did not like being in my truck. I am looking for a better stout carrier that can hold up to my truck.What are my options here?
    14bolt ff 10.5

thanks

Here is a pic and vid of what happened. Also it is stuck in posi mode

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBL6rGPXcHE"]YouTube - g80 carrier gone bad[/ame]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 021.jpg  
    95 suburban 2500 4x4 4000 gsk boost,egt,trans gauge
    97 6bt, dynamite 75 (stage 2) , 25 psi ,180 pump, no plate, rack/mack plug , 60 pound springs, 01 47 re ats standalone , 3 disk , 373, arb

option class 1: find used axle. Often cheaper and easier than rebuilding a differential. Main drawback is you are limited to what you find. Main options will be a factory open or factory G80.

option class 2: rebuild existing.
    carrier option 1: open carrier
    carrier option 2: another G80
    carrierr option 3: aftermarket limited slip: either clutch type or gear type
    carrier option 4: aftermarket locker: either automatic (detroit locker) or selectable
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Thanks for the good info.....

Well from what I read,called about, & searched.... I still am not sure what I want to do. This broke last sat and I spent all week ( 20 calls) ( 36 hours searching this) I basically came up to the conclusion they do not make a upgraded g80 so it would be stronger nor do they make anything aftermarket that will replace this that will do the same thing as a g80 but hold up. Here are my options so far that I found out. I need something stronger that will hold the torque for fun events and will be nice as a dd.

1. detroit locker
    2. arb air locker
    3. powertrax no slip
    4. detroit lsd/posi
    5. detroit true trac
    6. powertrax loc rite
    7. detroit e locker

I wonder why they don't make a lsd that will fully lock like the g80...
    Last edited by j_k_auto; 04-22-2009 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j_k_auto View Post
    Well I need to replace my carrier since it did not like being in my truck. I am looking for a better stout carrier that can hold up to my truck.What are my options here?
    14bolt ff 10.5

thanks
    A 14 bolt 9.5 SF would be more than adequate for your truck if you decide to upgrade your diff.

It depends on what you consider weaker. Did you know that the pinion shaft diameter is larger on the 9.5 than it is on the 10.5"FF? Guess where the power transfer to your ring gear comes from, the pinion.
    Last edited by Jacqson; 04-25-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqson View Post
    A 14 bolt 9.5 SF would be more than adequate for your truck if you decide to upgrade your diff.
    Maybe I missed something but a sf is alot weaker then the ff rear. I am dealing with alot of torque and going smaller impo would be a no no

I wonder why they don't make a lsd that will fully lock like the g80...
    That's one of the e-lockers isn't it? normally a clutch type LS until the user pushes a button and then it locks the axles together.

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    That's one of the e-lockers isn't it? normally a clutch type LS until the user pushes a button and then it locks the axles together.
    Maybe I don't know. I did find out that alburn does make a lsd and you can lock it posi but they do not make it for my truck....

Default update...

I did take my carrier out yesterday. Yea it was bad. the left side of the carrier fell off. The spider gears do not move anymore because the ring inside blew apart. Also the little gov gear had a tooth off of it...

Well I am going to replace it with a arb locker. Hopefully this will hold up.

In a 14 bolt FF, I think you should be good for some good use/abuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by