GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Torsion Bars

Default Torsion Bars

im trying to tighten the torsion bars on my 2000 Chevy silverado 1500.

i dont know much about suspension so if anyone can tell me what torsion bars are and where can i i find them. maybe a nice pic with the torsion bar circled

also how high can i tighten it before it gets unsafe and dangerous for the truck?

thank you
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    Replaced 4WD 4L60E Transmission
    Spectre Cold Air Intake
    Brush Guard with PIAA Fog Lights
    305/45r/22 Mastercrafts wrapped around 22in Akuza's
    Moon Visor
    Tinted all around
    Tonneua Cover
    Line Of Fire Brake Bar
    HID Lights 10k
    Billit Grill
    Angel Eye Projector Headlights and Bumpers Lights
    Custom Audio System; head unit, subs, amp, speakers 3000+watts

MY LUG NUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR RICER MAKES

Why do you want to adjust the torsion bars?

They run from the lower front control arm to the center frame cross member. There is 1 adjustment screw for each bar. Turn clockwise to tighten(raise) and counter clockwise to loosen(lower).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar
    A torsion bar suspension, also known as a torsion spring suspension or incorrectly torsion beam, is a general term for any vehicle suspension that uses a torsion bar as its main weight bearing spring. One end of a long metal bar is attached firmly to the vehicle chassis; the opposite end terminates in a lever, mounted perpendicular to the bar, that is attached to a suspension arm, spindle or the axle. Vertical motion of the wheel causes the bar to twist around its axis and is resisted by the bar's torsion resistance. The effective spring rate of the bar is determined by its length, diameter and material.
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

i want to adjust my torsion bars becuase my front enf of my truck sit noticbly lower then the rear. i have a brush gaurd and fog lights and other etc weight on the front fo my truck that make it lower.
    by adjusting the torsion bars. and making them tighter. then i heard i can raise my truck 1.5 to 2 inch max. and that will even it out with the back.
    i know they are somewhere located in the front suspension on each side, but i ahve no idea where. im looking for a picture.

I think the best best that you are looking for to lift the front end up, is to get a leveling kit for the front end...They are torsion bar keys that will raise the front end a good 2 to 3 inches. There are many brands out there including pro comp, ready lift, and tuff country.. I myself have a procomp leveling kit and it works well, and not too expensive.. On the downside it can make your ride a little rougher, and u will also have to get ur front end realigned...but you can fit up to a 33" tire after ur done..
    SrA Mason
    2011 Victory Red Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71
    Bone Stock
    1000Watt Sony amp
    2-10inch subs in custom box

I did a pro comp level kit and put on bilstein shocks - its the best ride yet!
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

if you put in one of those leveling kits where they replace the torsion bar key, will it make some parts wear out and break faster? i heard that by just tightening your torsion bars it can cause the CV joints to wear out alot faster
    Last edited by silvertruck; 04-27-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Im not sure on tht, but other people on the site may know a lil more thn i do..I know alot of people on the site have the level kits on there trucks

Quote Originally Posted by A1CMason View Post
    I think the best best that you are looking for to lift the front end up, is to get a leveling kit for the front end...They are torsion bar keys that will raise the front end a good 2 to 3 inches. There are many brands out there including pro comp, ready lift, and tuff country.. I myself have a procomp leveling kit and it works well, and not too expensive.. On the downside it can make your ride a little rougher, and u will also have to get ur front end realigned...but you can fit up to a 33" tire after ur done..
    you dont have to buy torsion bar keys..
    all i heard u need is a 18MM bolt and with enough elbow grease its same as "torsion keys"

Cranking up the torsion bars will give you an inch at best and will make the front end "lively" to say the least, if you really want to gain 2.5 inches of lift and have decent ride quality replace the stock keys with an aftermarket leveling kit. Here are pics of torsion bar and torsion key and adjuster bolt, your key and bolt will look a little different because mine are from a Pro Comp leveling kit. A word of caution! the torsion bars support the weight of the front end of the truck, which means they have an enormous amount of stored energy. If you are going to attempt to adjust your stock bars lift the truck and set it on jack stands, if you try to adjust with the wheels on the ground you will likely break off the bolt. The reason I say this is because you "heard" all you need is a "little elbow grease", trust me if you don't know what you are doing you can get seriously hurt. Good Luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0428090803a.jpg   0428090803b.jpg   0428090803c.jpg  
    Last edited by adampaul1964; 04-28-2009 at 07:20 AM.
    Adam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by $ilverado View Post
    you dont have to buy torsion bar keys..
    all i heard u need is a 18MM bolt and with enough elbow grease its same as "torsion keys"

Torsion keys are indexed differenlty in order to remain safe after the adjustment. if you add longer bolts and "crank" them you are changing the dynamics of how the key was designed to work. That is why the reengineered keys keep the ride somewhat reasonable after adjusting. Also if you look at bolt it sits in a pocket on the key. over adjusting a longer bolt can put horizontal stress on the bolt which inturn will cause the bolt to bend or even sheer off.

If your going to modify your truck it is in your best interest to do it properly even if you have to save over time to afford the proper equipment.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by