GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: engine swap

Default engine swap

Hello: Harvey form Dallas, Tx., i have a 1994 1/2 ton pu, GMC with a 5.7 liter engine, i want to swap it out with a 2000 chevy 5.3 liter engine& tranny,1/2 ton also, i have the complete truck with engine and wiring harness, how much trouble, with this swap be.

Its not hard so much as tedious with all the little details.
    TONS of people do it all the time though.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-truck-conversions/

I'd have to ask why you want this swap?
    For the trouble it'll take you wont be making a big difference in horsepower or mileage.
    If its because the old engine package is high mileage you might want to look at City Motors in Dallas for a remanufactured engine/trans, unless your getting the new eng/trans real cheap they may have a better deal for you on remanufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I'd have to ask why you want this swap?
    For the trouble it'll take you wont be making a big difference in horsepower or mileage.
    If its because the old engine package is high mileage you might want to look at City Motors in Dallas for a remanufactured engine/trans, unless your getting the new eng/trans real cheap they may have a better deal for you on remanufactured.
    The Gen-III motors are about 1,000,000 % better engine than the old Small Block Chevy.

I've already run into issues with Gen III motors and I cant say I share your opinion. Besides theres still many more parts available for hot rodding small blocks than there are Gen III's.
    And again the expense of a replacement Gen III is still high so you have to get a good price to make the swap worth while.

Sounds like a good swap to meI have always been a fan of the old GM 327,350,383...but now that I have a 323 5.3liter I will never ever go back