GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Does your city/town have a cruise night?

Here in winnipeg, Manitoba where i live there is cruise night every sunday night in the summer. people with nice cars/trucks/bikes, and people who THINK they have nice rides head out to Portage avenue. most people find a parking lot and park, mingle. alot of people just go to show off their cars, check out cars. Unfortunatly some go to race, a few people have been killed by street racers, unstandably, portage is a main road in winnipeg that also has a lot of none cruisers sunday night. Cops have tried differant tactics to shut it down, hasnt ever worked. there is one park that used to fill with cars, but now they have closed it to vehicles sundays. I have been to alot of other citys, and talked to lots of other people, i have never seen/heard of another city with cruise night other then Niagara Falls, Ont.

Does any body else have cruise night in their city/town?

ill take some pic the next time im out, probably not this weekend, looks like ****ty weather.

When I was a teenager growing up in Sacramento, CA. (late 70's) Friday and Saturday night were cruise nights, we had 3 cruise spots in town:
    Downtown J street cruise in front of the city jail/court house.
    Sunrise Mall around the parking lot.
    And Bird Cage walk around the parking lot.

Anyone interested in racing went to Sacramento Raceway where you could run heads-up grudge match's for $10 a car.
    Or you could go to Baseline road to run and take a chance the police wouldnt catch ya.

The third Thursday of every month was High School drag night at Sacramento Raceway, you couldnt enter your car to race unless you had a school I.D. and the car was registered to you or your parents, it cost $35 to enter your car and you could run all night.

The Street Machine Nationals and NORCAL Roadster show (The kick off show to the Oakland Roadster show) were held every summer and fall, when they came to town the local police became invisible and allowed full race cars on the streets as long as they didnt get dangerous and they had working lights (they would allow a few smokey burnouts as long as things didnt get out of hand).

If you got tired of the local cruise scene you could drive south 100 miles to Turlock CA. (The site of the Movie American Graffiti), west 125 miles to Sunnyvale CA., further west 145 miles to Santa Cruz, or North 130 miles to Reno NV. for Hot August Nights.

Some nights we'd make a caravan from one of the local cruise's to an out of town cruise.

I dont know of any true cruise spots here in DFW, I know of two permanent Friday night car shows.

When I was stationed in Tucson, AZ there was a group of carlovers that would all mingle on wednesday nights at a small restaurant and park all their cars (mostly classics) in the parkling lot there. Then wednesday the same group would fill the Fry's (grocery store) parking lot just down the street. As far as cruising, not much of that. Here in Minot though, there's pretty much nothing that goes on here unfortunately.