GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Dang on brakes I think

I got the 2004 avalanche, my brakes have been squeaking and pinging. On the highway they get very noisy when i move the steering wheel to the right. When i moves steering wheel to the left no noise. Some noise when i brake at a light or stop sign. noise, is for sure, coming from the front.

Tonight I changed the front rotors and pads and noise is still their, especially when im on the highway doing 65 and barely move the steering wheel to right, loud squeak/ping noise. If i hold the steering wheel to the left no noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get rid of this noise?
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by dwill3015; 04-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.

First, welcome to the site. As far as the "sqeaking", did you check the wheel bearings when you replaced the rotors? It could be something as simple as the wheel bearing going out on the side the noise is coming from. You probably alreeady checked that, but something on the noisy side is in a bind or failing. Hopefully someone with a better answer can give you some info'. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

No i didnt check the wheel bearings. Im a rookie when it comes to this stuff. Im not even for sure how to check a wheel bearing but after driving the truck around more today i think that might be the answer. No noise at all when i break now just when i turn to the right it has a loud squeak.

I'm no master by anymeans but that sounds like the wheel bearing to me as well as it puts some torsion on the bearing when you turn the wheel and it might have some slack or play in it from being worn out.

Do you have to take the wheels off to grease them?

the type of wheel bearing you have is a non-serviceable type sealed in a easy to bolt on package if it makes noise or is loose you have to replace the entire unit witch are not cheap.

to check with the wheels off the ground grab the top and bottom of the wheel and push and pull on top and bottom and feel for any play, if its loose should have a slight click when you shake it down

to check for a noisy bearing driving straight down a empty road turn the wheel to the left if more noise is heared you are looking at the right wheel bearing, if you turn to the right and hear more noise you will be looking at the left bearing

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

z71 guy thanks much, thats got to be what it is. I wish I would have read that earlier because I spent a half hour under their looking for a grease nipple.

What would be your guess on the estimated cost to replace one or both if i should go on and have both done?
    I'll most likely take it to a full service chevron station up the street.

yeh deff sounds like a wheel bearing too me. im pretty decent with mechanics but not the best.... but to e it sounds like that.
    Nothin like a liftd truck goin muddn

ok dudes, im nervous now, i took it to that chevron station, they test drove it. Called me back to get a better explanation of what it was doing. When i told him what ive said on here, and that I was pretty sure it was a wheel bearing. He said it wouldnt be a wheel bearing. wtf I dont think they even worked on truck to much and now I probaly wont get it back unitll tomorrow. 2 days without, is killing me.