GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default rattling noise in the rear??

Hey Guys I have a 2003 Silverado Z71 it has been hot lately so my windows have been down I have noticed when I am on a highway doing like 35mph and faster and I am making a long right turn I here some clanging it sounds like a loose hub cap.. I don't have hub caps. I think maybe a bearing but its only when I am on a turn??? Any ideas??
    2003 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 100K

my truck does something similair, just all the time. its a loose shackle on the leaf springs, check that out?

good call I will check that out tonight the rattle sounds more like that. A bearing is more of a grind.. Thanks I will get back to you,,

I finally got around to chekcing the shackles I tightened them and nothing. I put Amsoil sever gear in the rear a while back. When my windows were still closed do you think it could be the fluid and some clang in the pumpkin. its only when I turn right???

we basically share same trucks.
    this is what i found yesterday - after A YEAR of torturous irritating clunk coming from the passenger side rear end every time i hit a bump on the road.
    can't tell you how many times i had scouted for the source, and even twice with truck on lift. nada.
    anyhow, look at your rear leaf springs. 2nd from the bottom has plastic shim on either end. leaf is sticking off the 1st leaf about 8 inches?
    i did it with my bare hand, you can do mallet if you want to. anyhow, tap that end UP! in my case, loud bang was produced very easily on both ends. nothing on the driver side - ????
    i shimmed leafs. clunk is gone. drove yesterday, today.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

I finally got it looked at its the back plate on my breaks. I have discs on the rear the guy said its commom for them to rus out.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2hunt View Post
    I finally got it looked at its the back plate on my breaks. I have discs on the rear the guy said its commom for them to rus out.
    what back plate? a splash shield?

NO DUMM MODS

I guess I thought he said back plate.I was told its safe to ride and after enough rust drops It will be quiet again. Its not the easiest fix, but its safe to drive so I am not fixing it

Blog Entries

for those who said that tightened your shackle bolts..... just to let u know it will make it worse or might actualy cause noise if it didnt before........

check your leaf springs, u bolts, hangers, make sure your bed bolts are tightened, also if you have exhaust pipes, they tend to hit the bottom of the bumper and shake, making contact with the metal and it rattles real bad..... especially on driveways

i was crawling under my truck today, found also that there's a large 3 piece stamped steel shield covering undercarriage, on the passenger side, basically, from trannie all the way back to the rear wheel. i could clearly see where it was banging on the body, shiny spots on the paint. couple of old socks packed in tight got to take care of that.
    reason i was under was to locate sudden squeal truck developed, coming from behind me. turned out to be yoke u-joint.

NO DUMM MODS