GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2nd time wheelin, 1st time stuck! pics!!

So decided to take the new(to me) truck out for a spin in the mud, just bought friday by the way. this is my first 4X4, and not gonna lie, dont have much a clue how to drive it in the mud. of course i got it stuck on the "last one" pass of the night. took about 30-40 minutes to get myself out. eventually piled a bunch of lime stone rocks in the ruts i had made myself, and got her out. may not be able to see it in the pics, but i was on the frame and diff and one point. i was told this truck had a 16 bolt posi... one or the other of the back tires was stopped most of the time? i only have pics of when i first got stuck, when it got worse the focus kinda shifted to trying to get out:P anyway, heres pics. ...good times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27apr09-01small.jpg   27apr09-02small.jpg   27apr09-03small.jpg   27apr09-04small.jpg  

looks like u burried her pretty far. we've all done it. did u end up getting yourself out or did u have to get yanked out?

my first time stuck in my truck wasnt out wheelin in the snow it was the morning after st. patty's day trying to make it thru my buddy's ditch that was full of water, but hey, i just went inside and grabbed a coffee and then we yanked ol betsey out.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

just got it out myself, didnt have a choice, only other vehicle with me was a 2wheel drive quad, aside from that i dont have tow hooks on the front, and backwards was only deeper muck/water. Lots of back and forth, rocks under the tires, and a little bit of shoveling(idk if it actually helped or not, but im out)

ahh, i never go wheeling alone. even if i say i'm only going to go thru a little i get all worked up and start rippin it up out there.

i don't use the tow hooks if i'm pulling the front anyways (usually lol). i dont trust them ive seen too many go flying off and putting a nice dent in peoples tailgates, same with chains, i refuse to use a chain. i keep two very nice heavy dute 10,000lb (3in) straps with loop ends, no metal hooks. usually i loop the snatch strap over the frame rail in the front. if you're going to be wheeling a lot it might be beneficial to you to add some recovery hooks to your truck. just a thought

hahaha I miss the days of getting stuck in flat mud pits. Now a days I find rocks dangerously close to key driveline components, or I end up wedged against/bouncing off trees.

But anyway back to your situation. You do not have a 16 bolt rear, I am not sure they even exist. And if only 1 tire or the other was spinning, you do not have a limited slip/locker/posi in the rear. If the truck is a 2500 it may have a 14 bolt rear, otherwise it's probably a 10 bolt.
    Last edited by Pete95Sierra; 04-28-2009 at 12:52 AM.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

x2 on that one. and yes i bounce off of trees to. hence why my black cherokee has a red tailgate now
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Sigh, I miss the good times like going out and getting stuck when wheeling.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by 95CTburb19 View Post
    hahaha I miss the days of getting stuck in flat mud pits. Now a days I find rocks dangerously close to key driveline components, or I end up wedged against/bouncing off trees.

But anyway back to your situation. You do not have a 16 bolt rear, I am not sure they even exist. And if only 1 tire or the other was spinning, you do not have a limited slip/locker/posi in the rear. If the truck is a 2500 it may have a 14 bolt rear, otherwise it's probably a 10 bolt.
    yeah sorry, its a 14 bolt, one wheel was deffinatly stopped.

Blog Entries

Looks like you had fun. Too bad you let a little twig stand in your way.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

wow you really got it buried

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by