GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Finally got new plugs and wire on!

When I had the intake gasket done we put a new rotor and cap but ran out of time to get the plugs and wires

So yesterday put on a set of Delphi/Packard wires and some Denso TT platinum plugs and wow you can really tell a difference!
    More power at take of and smoother running but I have to watch it cause its alot easier to let the speed creep up on ya LOL. You know you get used to a certain pedal pressure to maintain your speed well what used to keep me around 55 was getting me closer to 65+ oops!

The plug wires were part of the Tune up Kit from Rock Auto cost was $86.79

The plugs are Denso Twin Tip platinum got them from Advance price was $2.49 I think
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Legend

Blog Entries

Good information to have - thanks! Will need to get new wires and plugs here in the next few months.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

I was wondering how those Denso TT's performed. Looking at them in comparison to other plugs, it looked like the side electrode stuck out farther in order to keep the correct gap due to the second tip. I thought it might cause problems, but I guess not.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Good information to have - thanks! Will need to get new wires and plugs here in the next few months.
    The tune up kit was pretty cool, it came with a new style cap and rotor with bronze contacts and new screws for everything and good wires all in one box.
    The cap is well made and the plastic is thick but not oversized and it does not look like it wold be the type to get brittle like the factory black ones.

I was going to get the Accel tune up kit but my mechanic said he has had issues with the Accel wires so went with the Delphi/Packard instead.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    I was wondering how those Denso TT's performed. Looking at them in comparison to other plugs, it looked like the side electrode stuck out farther in order to keep the correct gap due to the second tip. I thought it might cause problems, but I guess not.
    So far its night and day difference! Throttle response it much improved and going up hills its steady you dont have to really get into the pedal to keep up the speed.

The tip does not look to be too much deeper and the body is titanuim which I thought was different have not seen any like that.

I like Denso plugs when I was having issues with my mustang eating up plugs I mean it would burn the legs right off a plug in less that a month, I was looking at the yellow Accel plugs with the U groove and the fellow at the counter took me aside and showed me the Nippon Denso they had the same U groove and were way cheaper. I tried them and they worked good no more burned off tips and did not leave deposits.

I put Bosch in the Yukon and Denso in the Suburban and Im going to give them a few months and see how they compare.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Smile Got mine installed today

I finally got a nice warm dry day today. I had a chance and got the new Bosch Premium wireset and Denso Iridium Power spark plugs replaced on my 2005 Tahoe. Only had 61000 miles on the original plugs. But man did they look nasty. So next stop was to get some SeaFoam, and top off the fuel tank. Running a lot better now. The slight hesitation is gone when you pull out into traffic now. I hope the SeaFoam does its job and cleans out some of the carbon deposits.
    Mark - Ohio Tahoe
    London, Ohio
    2005 Chevy Tahoe
    "Bitten by the Mod Bug"

Well I have had these in for little while now along with the new Spectre air filter and I have not noticed any real mpg savings around town driving but not any less. The truck runs much smoother and I'm still getting used to the new power I have found.
    Took a short ride to the neighboring town and the truck just cruised along smooth up and down the hills it was nice.

Gas has been a issue with me around here the darn blended gas is hit it miss and I have got bad more more than a couple of times and it wreaks havoc with the truck.

Also I was just thinking my baseline for fuel was when I was running unblended fuel and now its with blended and there is a difference I did not take that into consideration so if I do figure in that change then I have got about a 10% increase in MPG and much improved throttle response.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/about_ethanol_fuel.html
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Dr Zero,
    Thanks for the info.Guess I'll change my plugs when the gaskets arrive.

A quick question-does the distributor have to come out when I change the lower intake manifold gaskets? It is nearly impossible to see where it goes in by just staring into the engine bay.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Dr. Zero, what is that "blended fuel" your talking about?
    2010 Equinox LT
    2.4, 6 speed auto, power lift gate, remote start, bluetooth, xm.

1995 Cheyenne C1500 ext. cab(my baby, my first truck)
    5.0, 5 speed, Silverado appearance package, power nothing, bucket seats and console Silverado, painted black interior, eBay halo headlights, eBay chrome tails, eBay cai, dual Flowmaster 40's w/no cats, 15x7 American Racing Hopsters, Walmart fog lights, SS mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by phoebeisis View Post
    Dr Zero,
    Thanks for the info.Guess I'll change my plugs when the gaskets arrive.

A quick question-does the distributor have to come out when I change the lower intake manifold gaskets? It is nearly impossible to see where it goes in by just staring into the engine bay.

Thanks,
    Charlie
    Yup it has to come out there is a new gasket for it in that felpro set in the other thread it the little round blue one.
    I was there and lended a hand when the mechanic did mine and it was trip to look down in the block like that LOL.

Also you are going to need a oil change afterwards due to coolant and the likes getting in the oil.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast