GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by 1_low_rider View Post
    HA, here i mississippi when i have to get my inspection sticker renewed all they check is for tinted windows!!!THATS IT!!! no stupid tests or checking the condition of the truck. takes 30 seconds and im outta there!!
    Gotta love the South!

1990 Chevy Suburban V1500 4x4 "Church Bus"
    5.7L TBI
    3" lift - 35" tires
    WARN Manual Locking Hubs

They stopped the "E Check" here is southwest ohio (Cincinnati Area) about 4 years, or so, ago.

My last run in with E Check wasn't pleasent. I failed because they told me my check engine light was supposed to be on but it wasn't. They couldn't give me a code or reason why it was supposed to be on. I had a transmission put in a few months prior and my check engine light would come on all the time. I took it back to Aamco several times and apperently the last time I did they disconnected my check engine light. I reported them to Aamco headquaters, got things taken care of but it sure was a pain.

I also had a friend go to E Check without a gas cap and they passed him. The tech stood on the hose and had his hand over the end that checked the cap for leaks.
    Jared - Ohio
    2004 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab Z71 3.5L
    2003 Jeep Liberty Limited

When we had emissions testing we would run aviation gas in the car on the way over to testing and you could pass just about anything
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

all i do is go downtown to the courthouse, hand them my old plates and they hand me new ones.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by bry2500 View Post
    Tests here in Mass are the same . No codes No sticker. Very simple math. Unless you know someone ( which is illegal) anything outside the lines is an instant rejection.
    You guys have lift laws up here. I would be so mad if I got pulled over for being to high.

California emissions package probably has all kinds of crazy evap and emissions stuff jammed under the hood and exhaust.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

When I first took my truck for the emissions test, it failed because the cigarette lighter fuse was blown. Don't even smoke and it cost me 60 bucks for a new one!

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LT

i'm so glad alabama doesn't do emmissions tests. 3/4 of the state would have to do some major work, or buy new cars
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

i failed for runnign rich and still cant figure out why

now i have to pay for a diagnostic cuz i cant find anyone with a OBD I scanner :(
    90' Chevy Silverado 1500
    Suspension: Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
    Paint/Body: Silver Metalic w/ Red & White pinstriping, steel cowl induction hood, custom billet grille
    Interior/Electronics: Under Construction
    Wheels/Tires: American Racing Chrome Baja 17x8 / Wrapped in TOYO Proxes ST II
    Engine/Trans/Perf: EFI 5.7 Liter 350 cid V-8 w/ 700R4 Trans.
    K&N 57 Series FIPK II CAI
    40 series Flows

HOORAH SEABEE's!! :fighting0037:SHOOT TO KILL!!

Quote Originally Posted by norcalbear05 View Post
    i failed for runnign rich and still cant figure out why

now i have to pay for a diagnostic cuz i cant find anyone with a OBD I scanner :(
    Doh! OBD 1 missed that here try this instead

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...gine-Light-Fo/

take a jumper wire and jump it with the key off from the test terminal to the ground terminal the two upper right plug holes then turn the key on DO NOT START IT!!!!! then the service engine soon light will flash code 12 it will be one flash a short pause then two flashes after another slightly longer pause the code will repeat itself two more times that says the diagnostic syatem is working if there is nothng wrong 12 will repeat itself over and over but if there is a problem it will flash the code 3 times then code 12 3 times and the next code if there is more than 1 code stored
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
    For other folks

I think that Autozone and Advance Auto are still allowed to read the code for your in Cali but I have heard they cant clear any codes, seems the shops complained they werent getting the diagnostic fees they are used to ripping you off for.

If you have to spend more than $30 consider getting yourself a code scanner they can be had for around $40 for a basic model

This one has OBDII and CAN for the newer vehicles

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-OBD-II-Reader/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1241799284&sr= 8-1"]Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Code Reader: Automotive[/ame]

harbor freight has a clone also around $40

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94169

This is the one I got since it not only shows the code it tells you what it means without having to look it up, its all there on the screen

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS409-OBD-II-Scanner/dp/B001LHW9YG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1241799592&sr =1-12"]Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS409 OBD-II/EOBD Scanner: Automotive[/ame]
    Last edited by Dr_Zero; 05-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.