GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to Replace the Spark Plugs on a Silverado/Sierra

Need help on how to change the spark plugs on a 2001 chevy truck with the 5.3L V8. I tried to pull the rubber boot out but it will not come out. Is there a special tool that is needed in order to get them out? Also is the metal cilindar thing that the boot hangs out of apart of it or is it just a covering where the plug and boot goes into.
    Last edited by Steve; 01-16-2012 at 12:02 PM.

spin the boot left to right several times,this will help
    Quote Originally Posted by texasrebel01 View Post
    Need help on how to change the spark plugs on a 2001 chevy truck with the 5.3L V8. I tried to pull the rubber boot out but it will not come out. Is there a special tool that is needed in order to get them out?

Charlie Wheatley

Houston, Texas
    832-891-1798
    Email:charlie@gowheatley.com
    Live street tunes, or custom mail ordered to your application needs!
    Custom Tuning available for 96-09 GM trucks and SUV's

2003 Z71 Silverado LS
    Access roll up cover
    Bed Rails
    Billet Grill insert
    Bed Rug
    CB with PA system
    Waiting to be installed
    Two 8in RF HX2 punch( would have 12s but they got stolen)

Legend

Needle nose pliers, with slight pressure to release the clasp inside the boot.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

needle nose pliers. The hole metal boot comes off. Dont just grab the wire put them right on the metal boot and pull them off. I just changed my plugs on my 03 last week. Get a little piece of hose to put on the plug to get it started
    2003 Silverado Z71 Ext Cab 100K

california gov. arnold would say "dont be such a guuurly man, pull haardaa!!"

lol jk.
    90' Chevy Silverado 1500
    Suspension: Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
    Paint/Body: Silver Metalic w/ Red & White pinstriping, steel cowl induction hood, custom billet grille
    Interior/Electronics: Under Construction
    Wheels/Tires: American Racing Chrome Baja 17x8 / Wrapped in TOYO Proxes ST II
    Engine/Trans/Perf: EFI 5.7 Liter 350 cid V-8 w/ 700R4 Trans.
    K&N 57 Series FIPK II CAI
    40 series Flows

HOORAH SEABEE's!! :fighting0037:SHOOT TO KILL!!

Default almost there

Quote Originally Posted by liv2hunt View Post
    needle nose pliers. The hole metal boot comes off. Dont just grab the wire put them right on the metal boot and pull them off. I just changed my plugs on my 03 last week. Get a little piece of hose to put on the plug to get it started

same as texasrebel

I talked to a supossed mechanic and he said to pull out the spark plug wires first. Also that after years of driving heat the wires can melt to the plug and get stuck. Not sure what to do. Liv2hunt if you just did it all go with 2 needle nose pliers and pull and twist and see what happens.

To make this easier next time, take some conductive grease and put it on the ends of the spark plugs(where you plug the wires onto).
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension