GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: K&n fipk/cai

Default K&n fipk/cai

Got my K&N installed over the weekend. I noticed a bit of a performance increase and definitely a MPG boost. Driving expressway from South Bend to East Lansing average about 70-75mph, I got around 17mpg. Normally I would've gotten 15, so I was impressed with that. My biggest complaint is that the air box doesn't fit up against the fender. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0497.jpg   IMG_0498.jpg  
    Mindi
    1998 1500 Silverado Z71
    2006 YFZ450

Looks good, glad to hear you noticed an increase in gas mileage. Always good for the pocket. And maybe you can get an extension from the air flow sensor to the tube? Just get a longer piece of the rubber.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Looks good, glad to hear you noticed an increase in gas mileage. Always good for the pocket. And maybe you can get an extension from the air flow sensor to the tube? Just get a longer piece of the rubber.
    You can't do that. The air box bolts to the bottom of the engine bay/fender. If you move the air box, you have to drill new holes. Seems like kind of a crappy set up by the K&N engineers, unless the box isn't suppose to fit snug against the fender. I would think it is suppose to since it came with rubber seals to put all around the box.

Blog Entries

Looks good.

If the sides went all the way to the fender could you get enough air flow through just that hole on the fender. It doesn't look like it would provide the necessary air flow.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bry2500 View Post
    Looks good.

If the sides went all the way to the fender could you get enough air flow through just that hole on the fender. It doesn't look like it would provide the necessary air flow.
    That's exactly what I was thinking...but that's how it was with the old air box (I'm pretty certain anyway). The hole in the air box went up against the hole in the fender. I thought that there were air flow "ducts" coming from the front of the grill that leads to the hole in the fender for the air box...that's what I was told anyway.

Ive installed a few intakes in the past and if i remember right they always fit snug up against the fender. even at that the rubber seal makes it look like it is sapposed to be up against the fender. I am building my own intake for my truck and im not going to have a air box for a while.

2008 Chevy Silverado WT for sale
    All black with DJM 4/7 drop sold
    Factory Navi for sale
    22inch Escalade wheels sold

Quote Originally Posted by 2008blackWT View Post
    Ive installed a few intakes in the past and if i remember right they always fit snug up against the fender. even at that the rubber seal makes it look like it is sapposed to be up against the fender. I am building my own intake for my truck and im not going to have a air box for a while.

I might take it into O'Rieley's to see what they have to say about it. Maybe the factory sent the wrong box.

Cool K&N fipk/cai

I had 96 Suburban which used same kit and it did fit against the inside fender. I would call K&N tech line.

I will have to do that.

Cool K&N fipk/cai

Hey MIndi, Ive be looking at your pictures and I havent figuired it out yet but it looks like a part is missing on the intake tube. It been a few years since Ive worked on 96-99 trucks. If I figuire it out I will post.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by