GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Best Performance Addons

I've always spent all my money on my snowmobile but I've got the thing set up about perfect right now so I figured its about time to start throwin cash at the truck. It's a 1997 Silverado Z71 with a 350 currently all stock. What performance addons will give me the most bang for my buck? Obviously a whistle or a supercharger will add some serious power but I don't exactly have ten grand to be throwin around.

Intake/headers/exhaust/programmer seems to be where most start.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    Intake/headers/exhaust/programmer seems to be where most start.
    I've looked into programmers quite a bit but everytime I'm about to get one I get talked out of it because someone tells me its pointless to put one on a gas truck
    whats a good intake or set of headers

K&N or AIRAID are the intakes most go with

i got a K&N 57 series CAI on my silverado

was very happy with it, better gas milage, improved passing performance, ect.

since yours is a later model you may be able to go with the 77 series, only diff is the induction tube is chrome instead of black plastic but then again ive heard that it defies the point of a cold air intake bc the chrome can heat the air going in. plus the black dosnt look bad anyway. just a thought.

you can also take it a step further with a throttle body spacer, it makes it easier if you do the intake and spacer at the same time. the spacer enables the fuel and air to mix better before going into the intake maifold.
    90' Chevy Silverado 1500
    Suspension: Belltech 2" Drop Spindles
    Paint/Body: Silver Metalic w/ Red & White pinstriping, steel cowl induction hood, custom billet grille
    Interior/Electronics: Under Construction
    Wheels/Tires: American Racing Chrome Baja 17x8 / Wrapped in TOYO Proxes ST II
    Engine/Trans/Perf: EFI 5.7 Liter 350 cid V-8 w/ 700R4 Trans.
    K&N 57 Series FIPK II CAI
    40 series Flows

HOORAH SEABEE's!! :fighting0037:SHOOT TO KILL!!

Injen makes one of the best intakes on the market look here for information: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20265
    2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ex. Cab, Fire Red, 6.6L Duramax LMM Equipped with UTG Rocker Pods

AMSOIL is the only oil company that...,"Recommends 25,000 mile oil changes","Gives up to four times better wear protection","Warranties your engine against oil related failure"

Preferred Customers Save up to 30% Click here!!!
    Executive Direct Jobber ZO# 1695636
    Scott Douglass 248-721-1002
    Order online:
    www.1st-synthetics.com

i would just get heads a cam and intake to start with

Cool best performance addons

A throttlebody spacer works very well on that year engines (1996 to 1999). If you put headers on the spacer brings back the bottom torque you lose with the headers. I had 96 Suburban with K&N cold air, t/body spacer, Jba short headers and magnaflow cat-back. I had a hypertech programmer strictly for the gear change and taller tires, the hypertech did nothing for performance.

Intake/Exhaust/Programmer/TBS

You can do headers, but if you don't know what your doing or the shop that installs them is crappy, then they may leak. Plus they are the most expensive of all the upgrades once you figure in labor.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

i really appreciate everybodys help, im new to this site but it already seems like it has a lot of good people
    so it seems like a cold air intake and a throttlebody spacer are the way to go and also the cheapest and easiest to put on so what are good brands for both of those items and what kind of performance gains could i expect from these
    also what is a cam which was mentioned earlier

Jr. Apprentice

a lot of people go K&N or airaid for intake. i imagine you could pull a good 10hp gain from the intake, but you'd have to look it up (most auto parts stores should have the gain catalog for K&N) to be specific.

cam is short for camshaft, meaning to put in performance camshaft(s) to replace your stock. they look like this:

and can sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/fMxEs3LeFgU
    1995 Chevy S-10 Z71 4.3L
    2000 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 5.3L

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by