GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: HIDs

Default HIDs

I have been seeing a lot lately more and more guys getting the HID kits. i was wondering if they were worth the money, and where can i find them for my truck. i have a 1995 1500. Thanks

Master Mechanic

i bought some back in september for my dodge and then after it was stolen and flipped back in feburaryi pulled em out, did a little modifying and put em in my new 04 silverado right after i bought it.theyre definatly brighter and in my opinion i love em.however they can cost a few hundred bucks. ordered mine from a site call streetbeatcustoms.com
    hope this helped some!

if your looking for a less expensive alternative to and hid kit check out the Putco bulbs. I just installed some Putco Ion Spark White bulbs in my truck and i love them.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Master Mechanic

if i wasnt able to make the ones from my dodge fit i prolly woulda just gone with some silverstars.a friend had those in his z71 and i liked those pretty well
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

i have the silverstar ultras, and i say that now that i have seen what TRPLXL's piaa h1 extreme whites look like, im goin with them. they are supposed to last longer that the silverstars, and they are sooo much brighter. but about $30 more per pair
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Legend
    Blog Entries

I will be the first to admit that I am not a huge fan of aftermarket bulbs, because most of the time they are junk and a waste of time. When I rebuilt my projector headlights I NEEDED an upgrade and I didn't want HID's, so I took the plunge and bought two sets of PIAA extreme white plus bulbs. Honestly they are the whitest light pattern I have ever seen, and even for the money I would not hesitate to buy another set in minute! Before my new bulbs I was lucky to see 20 feet in front of the truck, and now I measured it out and they go out to 75 feet now which is a 300% improvement over my old setup. They are 55 watt but have the output of a 110 watt bulb, I put a high temperature socket in place of the OEM plug just for precaution but I have never seen anyone else do it so they are just plug and play NO WIRING! Here's a video of them on my truck, keep in mind this is before I adjusted them!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL-psa0rMKQ"]YouTube - Matrix projector headlights[/ame]
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Legend

vvme.com or hidlightsusa.com for hid, I had silverstar and for the price i wasnt happy with them, I got some cheap bulbs from hidlightsusa for my wifes plymouth (we all know the HORRIBLE lights that chrysler builds) and was extremely happy for the 15 bucks i spent on bulbs
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I got the silverstar ultras and they work just fine for me, they are a lot better than factory OEM by far, I can easily see at least 25% better with them.

Check out our site sponsor Focuz Tech http://www.focuztech.com. They're got a wide variety of lighting options.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

HID's are the way to go, if you dont want to spend a fortune than go on ebay, i have never had problems with them and they work amazingly. Unless you have the work truck cause they have sealed beam headlights, in which case you need the conversion housings to get the HID's. In which case i have a million of them i can sell.

in my opinion there is no reason for any car to not have HID lights in them. they are great for driving on dark roads. i have had my lights on my 09 silverado for 2 months. love them. got them in my fog lights and low beams. def get a pair. you wont regret it.