GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Question

Quote Originally Posted by heavy chevy View Post
    Where are you getting 2 grand for parts and install. I just got quoted at 300.00 for the swap in my 08 silverado. I couldnt even see it costing that much if you bought the whole axle. That is parts and labor. It is only about 1.5 hrs to swap the gears out. Then if you dont have a tuner you have to purchase that to swap your gear ratio on you pcm.

$300? I'm not sure how that is considering a new ring and pinion for the front axle alone is $325 and $260 for the rear using the 3.73 ratio. To do a master install right, it's around 4 hrs per axle.

I just had mine regeared and that is on par with what I expected to pay. $2056 out the door.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

I am just going off what the guy at the shop told me and I didnt think you had to do both axles in the truck and you dont have to change out the ring an pinion to install the 373 gears the gears are only like 140 bucks. My buddy just had his firebird changed from a 342 to 373 paid the guy 300 bucks and that thing gets out of the hole in a hurry now. If it isnt broke dont fix it. If you want to change the gears you dont have to go all out and change everything else.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper
    Matching painted front grill and bow ties

Quote Originally Posted by all mighty l View Post
    Im trying to figure out wht i should do to my truck.. i was planning to buy subs but id rather make it faster but not go too high in price. I'm planning on getting a K&N cold air intake but dont know what else or type of stuff

I should have asked this rite off the bat what Kind of truck is it. This way people wont be arguing over prices. It cost a little more to do 4*4s than 2wds

Quote Originally Posted by masterfoxscout View Post
    $300? I'm not sure how that is considering a new ring and pinion for the front axle alone is $325 and $260 for the rear using the 3.73 ratio. To do a master install right, it's around 4 hrs per axle.

I just had mine regeared and that is on par with what I expected to pay. $2056 out the door.
    $2000 sounds about right to me, option 2 would be to find a complete axle off someone thats already been regeared but odds are very slim..... if you know someone good at mechanic work, make it a do-it-yourself project and save loads of money!
    Last edited by 1_low_rider; 04-30-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Jr. Apprentice

dumb question, but what exactly does putting in a 373 gear do? is it for posi-trac? sorry..
    1995 Chevy S-10 Z71 4.3L
    2000 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 5.3L

Quote Originally Posted by banditz View Post
    dumb question, but what exactly does putting in a 373 gear do? is it for posi-trac? sorry..
    changing gear ratios increases or decreases the number of times the drive shaft/engine turns per revolution of the wheels. can use it just to compensate for tire size changes or to increase/decrease horsepower & torque or acceleration & top end speed. here's a link i found that should answer your question and many others....http://www.ringpinion.com/FAQ.aspx

Sorry about hijacking the thread for a question, but should my suburbans 3.73 gear ratio be okay with my 285 tires?
    K1500 5.7L Chevy Suburban
    290000+ miles
    K&N CAI
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    TCI Servo and Shift Kit
    Long Tube Ceramic Pacesetter Headers
    Custom Side Swept Dual Exhaust
    Dual 2.5in electric DMH Performance Exhaust Cutouts
    BFG A/T 285s

I dont know why I said you dont need to replace the ring and pinion but that is what you need to replace. The ring a pinion for my truck is 145 dollers and 150 for the labor.

Quote Originally Posted by willbradfan View Post
    Sorry about hijacking the thread for a question, but should my suburbans 3.73 gear ratio be okay with my 285 tires?
    Yes. It should put you at around 2400 - 2600 RPMs at 65 MPH in overdrive. Is that what it normally is? That is on the fuel economy side of the scale, so if you want to be closer to factory, you need to go with 4.10:1.

I put a K&N intake system on with a set of short headers. An Edge programmer to change the timing curve. Was told that I can have my transmission shift points changed, haven't done that yet. My millage went down by 3 mpg afterwards though!