Results 1 to 2 of 2
04-30-2009, 05:22 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- East of Branson, Missouri
- Blog Entries
How To: Installing adhesive-backed accessories.
Replaced the wind visors on the Suburban this week and thought I'd give the basic tips to doing adhesive-backed accessories like moulding, badges, visors, etc..
Very basic, very simple:
- Wash the car and especially the area that will get the adhesive. Skip the wax!
- Do a trial fit of the part first to make sure you have the right one, you know where it will go, the orientation, etc. It's like the "measure twice; cut once" rule.
- Right before the install clean the area well with alcohol wipes. (3M makes pads especially for this purpose, pick a few up while you're at the auto parts store and have some in your tool box for times like this!) Remember your Karate Kid movie... Wax on / wax off / wax on / wax off ... only in this instance you will have the cleaner in one hand and a CLEAN DRY CLOTH in other. Wipe the area clean and then dry off as soon as you've done so.
- On the part itself, lift up about an inch of backing from the adhesive strip and fold it at a 90 degree angle so it sticks out from under the part. Place it where it will go and press down on the tacky bit that's been exposed. With one hand holding the part in place, where you want it, grab hold of the backing that's sticking out and peel it out from underneath. Press firmly to stick it in place, working from the middle out and then stand back to admire your work. (or get frustrated that with all that, you STILL put it on kind of crooked!)
The initial fitting with the backing peeled back a little, visible by left hand.
Holding it in place with one hand, the backing is peeled off and the part pressed on securely.
06-02-2009, 04:50 PM #2
- Join Date
- Jan 2009
is it forgiving if you do it crooked?
im not so good at lining things up straight..=(2004 Silverado Crew Cab-z71-4x4-5.3-100k+ miles-KN FIPK Stage 2 CAI-Flowmaster 40 muffler w/ dual tip-Apline deck/alpine amp, Pioneer components front/Pioneer Back/2x10" MTX Subs under rear seat-Cooper ST tires
By justaphase44 in forum Chevy Truck AccessoriesReplies: 5Last Post: 11-19-2013, 07:53 PM
By Crazeetxn in forum Chevy Truck AccessoriesReplies: 5Last Post: 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM
By Steve in forum Hummer ForumReplies: 0Last Post: 12-29-2009, 08:00 AM
By intothefire in forum Chevy Truck AccessoriesReplies: 4Last Post: 12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
By drbjr11 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 10Last Post: 10-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Tags for this Thread