GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master Mechanic

Default what do they make this s**t out of now??

a friend of mine has a 01 ram 2500 and was stuck out in a field and called me to come pull him out..we hooked the chain up to my hitch and pulled and pulled.after a few minutes we noticed my hitch had been bent to a 45 degree angle!!well its already bent so dont stop now..pulled for a little bit longer.i had been able to drag him about 25 feet but it was getting to the point that i couldnt get traction and his axles were buried..so we hooked another silverado up to the front on mine using the tow hooks.first little tug..SNAP!!there goes my drivers side tow hook..what are they makin this stuff out of these days?anybody else havin these problems?
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

i work with a guy that used to run for a wrecker service, and he said that the first thing he replaces on chevy's are their tow hooks b/c factory ones are junk
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    i work with a guy that used to run for a wrecker service, and he said that the first thing he replaces on chevy's are their tow hooks b/c factory ones are junk
    Ah, the feel of pulling a Dodge out w/ a Chevy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post

2500 8 lug tow hooks are a lot stronger than the ones on 1500's.
    2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, Dmax/Allison, Taupe Gray Metallic, Line-x over the Rail & Rockers, S&B Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust, Rigid Dually D2's, Cognito Leveling Kit, Cognito Steering Braces plus much more.

"Suburban" There is no Substitute.:great:

SOLD - My Loaded up 02 2500 Suburban.

Master Mechanic

i ended up ripping his front bumper completely off before it was all over with!
    -Dylan
    2004 Silverado 4x4
    4.8L
    1986 K5 Blazer
    8" Superlift w/39.5 super swampers
    1992 GMC Jimmy "Blue Bomber"
    4.3L Vortec

Must be a forging flaw....anything made of steel that dia. should be able to pick the whole truck up!

What's more impressive is your 4.8 pulled his big 2500 out anyway its very hard to imagine the hooks failing but from looking at newer trucks they are smaller than my old 96's tow hooks. Mine are factory rated at 10,000 lb and still look new maybe see if older style ones will work with a newer truck.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I use mine to lift the front of my truck enough to put on jack stands. I do the same with the receiver.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

The one on the NNBS look really big and tough but the ones on the NBS look a little thinner and not as built.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

You have to remember, the 3/4 tons trucks are a LOT heavier than 1/2 ton trucks. I bet your buddies 01 Ram 2500 weighs ~9000lbs.

As far as your hitch, what kind of hitch do you have, Class III or IV? A class III is only good for 6000 lbs where a Class IV is good for 10,000lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast