GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had my K2500 winched out of a creek, up a 50 foot bank by a wrecker. My wheels were not touching the ground, the truck was stuck on the frame ends with the creek running under it. Had so much resistance it pulled the wrecker off the highway until my 4 wheel drive got some traction on the front wheels to help. But the tow hook was unfazed.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1468.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	46545I dunno dude, the hooks on my HD2500 seem pretty strong!!! That's a 10 foot long Red Oak trunk, about 26 inches in diameter! Pulled up a dirt hill. Had to put her in 4X4 low. No problem!!
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    You have to remember, the 3/4 tons trucks are a LOT heavier than 1/2 ton trucks. I bet your buddies 01 Ram 2500 weighs ~9000lbs.

Even a 2500 with a Cummins only curb weighs 6200#s...they have a GVW of 8800 or 9000#s.

Remember tow hooks are for towing, not yanking...

Wow, someone resurrected a 3 year old thread in November and we're still commenting on it. It must be because a small GM yanked a big Dodge out of a field. Hrm....

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Wow, someone resurrected a 3 year old thread in November and we're still commenting on it. It must be because a small GM yanked a big Dodge out of a field. Hrm....

Nah, I responded because I watched a chain pass through a front windshield, rear window, smash the dash all to pieces, crush the hood, and finally pile into the tailgate from a broken tow hook as a result of a guy yanking on a stuck truck before...the energy stored in a flying 1/2 inch logging chain is impressive.

Luckily, the driver escaped with only a few minor cuts from flying glass shards...she was lucky.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I think we need a post about safe pulling or getting rescued.. I see lots of pics of people getting pulled out and not ONE has a safety Towel or banner in the middle of your rope or chain. incase you did not know that helps to slow down the rope or chain if it breaks which could save you from a broken window or dent on your truck or even better YOU from getting hurt..

http://www.ehow.com/how_6833562_pull-car-out-ditch.html
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...out_of_the_mud
    http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

Incase the strap may break, lay a tarp or some jackets on top of the recovery strap. When the strap breaks (lets hope for the best, but prepare for the worst), the jackets or tarp will slow the recovery strap down before it hits someone.
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

May be an old thread but Enkeiavalanche's information was new to me, good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    I think we need a post about safe pulling or getting rescued.. I see lots of pics of people getting pulled out and not ONE has a safety Towel or banner in the middle of your rope or chain. incase you did not know that helps to slow down the rope or chain if it breaks which could save you from a broken window or dent on your truck or even better YOU from getting hurt..

http://www.ehow.com/how_6833562_pull-car-out-ditch.html
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...out_of_the_mud
    http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

Incase the strap may break, lay a tarp or some jackets on top of the recovery strap. When the strap breaks (lets hope for the best, but prepare for the worst), the jackets or tarp will slow the recovery strap down before it hits someone.
    I completely agree. Many people do not know about using something on the strap. I don't know how many times I went to pull someone out at a offroad park and people looked at me strange when I laid 2 heavy pairs of carhartt overall across the strap. I have a friend that still does not do it and he lost 3 back windows out of his jeep from flying chains and straps

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

About the tow hooks being crap. I bent my left side one pulling my cummins out of our marsh at the farm it pushed down about an inch
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12