GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Jr. Engineer

I saw those higher amp alts also, the guy at AutoZone said they would not drop in so I just replaced with the eom, under the assumption that if I am going to spend the time to do it custom I will use duals.

Sounds like Ron might have a little experience in this area, maybe we can convince him to give us a run down.

Legend

I just found out that the last time the alt was replaced, it was from a 120 to a 105. My needle takes a nose dive when I run the rear A/C, and headlights at the same time. (State law...headlights must be on when trailering.) So I'm going to be replacing the alt with either the 120 again, or maybe I could be convinced that dual Alts are the way to go.

If you could tell us more, that would be great!
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Easiest way to install dual alternators is to buy one of the available kits. this saves the hassle of fabricating mounting brackets, makes for a nice clean installation.
    There is nothing more frustrating than running various accessories at the same time and the charging system can't keep up with the load placed on it.
    Ron :D

I would like to see one of these. Anyone have a photo of it?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I have a 107 amp AC Delco replacementin my Suburban. My burban is wired with all sorts of emergency lighting and communications gear. When I come to a stop in the rain at night with the turn signals on with the front and rear air on full blast and the wipers running while transmitting on the two-way radio, my voltage never drops below 13.7 volts

If you hear nothing else I say, Make sure to hear this: AC Delco.

NEVER buy a starter or alternator with a "lifetime warranty" from Auto-Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Their house brands SUCK! They are JUNK! They are "re-built" in a sweat shop-type factory where more than half of them don't even meet spec before being boxed up and shipped out.

Fix it once, and fix it right, I say. Buy the Delco the first time, and "Fuhgettaboutitt!"
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Default AC Delco is good stuff, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo
    I have a 107 amp AC Delco replacementin my Suburban. My burban is wired with all sorts of emergency lighting and communications gear. When I come to a stop in the rain at night with the turn signals on with the front and rear air on full blast and the wipers running while transmitting on the two-way radio, my voltage never drops below 13.7 volts

If you hear nothing else I say, Make sure to hear this: AC Delco.

NEVER buy a starter or alternator with a "lifetime warranty" from Auto-Zone, Advance Auto, etc. Their house brands SUCK! They are JUNK! They are "re-built" in a sweat shop-type factory where more than half of them don't even meet spec before being boxed up and shipped out.

Fix it once, and fix it right, I say. Buy the Delco the first time, and "Fuhgettaboutitt!"
    I don't disagree that AC-Delco sells a quality product, but I've been on the floor of a couple of very good component rebuilders. A good rebuilder can't afford a high return rate. Shipping costs alone would eat into their bottom line. New bearings, brushes, diodes are pretty commonplace. The case, and the stator really don't require replacement so they are cleaned, tested and reused.

Every good shop protects its reputation by a rigorous testing program. Like I said, it's cheaper to build a quality product that to pay to ship it back and forth. The major chains watch their return rate and a competitive supplier is always looking to steal your contract with them.

A big problem the major chain stores have is taking back an rebuilt part that is OK. A DIY'er that thinks his electrical woes are caused by a bad alternator can whine to the parts clerk who finds it easier to swap the unit out that argue with the customer or help them correctly diagnose the trouble.

A lifetime warranty is nothing to sneeze at. An alternator is a simple 30 minute job to replace on most cars. If you change your vehicle every couple of years then it doesn't make a difference. As for me I'm keeping my burb til the wheels fall off, so a $100 for a lifetime alternator is a bargain.

Yes, junk is junk, and your experience may vary, but I don't have a problem buying rebuilt parts from a major retailer.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12