GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A/C Leak Question

99 Suburban LT 5.7 C1500

There appears to be a slow leak around the compressor body. There appears to be a hold down band that bolts to the motor and holds the compressor in place. Underneath that band is where I am seeing the leak detector (green stuff) slowly bubbling out. I havent tried to pull the compressor... but does that mean it is shot? is there something under that hold down that can be re-sealed?
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE

I've got what sounds to be a similar issue on the compressor on my 91 suburban. It's been like that for a while, but I don't seem to be losing freon at a rate high enough to really notice a drop in cooling ability. I've been putting mine off until I can overhaul the entire system and add the rear a/c back in.

However, I do think the compressor on our trucks are on their way out. :(
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

When I replaced the compressor on my 93 a few years ago I remember a variety of plugs to close ports not used on my vehicle. Didn't hang onto the installation instructions. (Why keep what you don't read eh?) You might want to truck on down to the parts store to take a gander at a compressor out of the box.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

If your compressr is leaking you have to replace it. There is no way to just reseal it unless its leaking around the fittings.

Just like unplugged said on the bottom of the compressor near the bolts for the support bracket there are a couple unused ports that are plugged off, the plugs use "O" rings to seal them.
    The real problem is to change out the "O" rings you have to evacuate the system of all the freon, change the "O" rings out, pull a vacuum on the system, and recharge it. After all this work you might just as well rebuild or replace the compressor, change the drier cannister, and change the other "O" rings in the system. Basically rebuild your A/C system, shouldnt take but the better part of the afternoon.
    The A/C compressor used on these trucks shows 156 different applications, I know some of those are used on completely different body styles (i.e. Isuzu medium duty trucks) which probably use different freon ports but I'd guess most of the applications are similiar.

The real problem is to change out the "O" rings you have to evacuate the system of all the freon, change the "O" rings out, pull a vacuum on the system, and recharge it. After all this work you might just as well rebuild or replace the compressor, change the drier cannister, and change the other "O" rings in the system. Basically rebuild your A/C system, shouldnt take but the better part of the afternoon.
    I gotta admit that I am always tempted to try JB Weld or duct tape to seal things that leak!
    Here's what I have in my first aid kit:
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

OK I saw a dryer and compressor on ebay for about 150$ rebuilt. Will be the next project.

Wow... I just bought this thing and in a month I put in a heavy duty radiator, new front wheel bearings, idler arm, and pitman arm, new sound system and 4 new speakers, all the tune up goodies, fuel pump, and now... the a/c compresser and dryer...

I hope it ends here... the engine and tranny are smooth and strong...
    Danny
    Saint Petersburg FL
    1999 SUBURBAN LT C1500
    1985 MAZDA RX-7 BLOWTHROUGH TURBO
    1987 BMW 325IS
    1994 Infinti Q45
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE