GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Forgot about this thread.

Mine is still perfect after about 10k miles or more. Grease gun waiting in the garage if I need it. This fix is perfect, cheap and very easy to add grease in the future.
    2005 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3l 4WD

Add me to the list of successful fixes. Extremely easy and quick. Mine took about 65 shots of grease to get it done. The initial 30 still had the shaft rattling. It feels like a new truck again.
    2005 Sierra 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    Pro Comp 6" Lift
    4.56 Gears
    35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Eagle Alloys
    K&N Intake
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    SuperChips Programmer (worthless)

Hope your all happy for a long time.
    I think GM should be reimbursing al lot of people, a lot of cash for these fixes that don't work.
    If they fix it under warrenty then charge you out of warrenty to fix it again and again, thats just B S and we all know it.
    I love Chevy trucks, don't get me wrong, but this deal is highway robery in my opinion.
    slkinner

PS. my clunk is still gone, 13000km.
    Last edited by skinner; 11-09-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: more info
    2004 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L auto
    Beginning work in progress

I got most of the parts to do the fix to mine Friday. I am SO happy I stumbled on this thread. You are the man, Skinner!! I do have a few questions though...

I want to take the suggestion of plugging one end with expanding foam. However, you say I need to disconnect the shaft at the bolt shown in the picture near the grease fitting. When I take this bolt off, will the shaft come right apart or is there another area I need to loosen? Also, please confirm that the end I should put the foam in is the black side (left in your pic) not the bare metal side with the fitting. I want to get this right the first time.

THANK YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I got most of the parts to do the fix to mine Friday. I am SO happy I stumbled on this thread. You are the man, Skinner!! I do have a few questions though...

I want to take the suggestion of plugging one end with expanding foam. However, you say I need to disconnect the shaft at the bolt shown in the picture near the grease fitting. When I take this bolt off, will the shaft come right apart or is there another area I need to loosen? Also, please confirm that the end I should put the foam in is the black side (left in your pic) not the bare metal side with the fitting. I want to get this right the first time.

THANK YOU!!!
    I pu the foam in the shaft on the left side of the picture. This is the shaft that inputs into the steering box. I just stuck the tube from the great stuff can up through the universal joint at the bottom of the shaft and fired away in the hopes that some of that foam would push up to our problematic joint. Since the shaft is hollow, I know I dammed up the grease at least halfway up the shaft, if not more toward the grease fitting. After it expanded and dried, I took a flat screwdriver and scraped the excess from the bottom of the shaft inbetween the uv joint so it wouldn't interfere with steering operation. Pumped it full of grease and I have a completely quiet front end.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post

THANK YOU!!!
    Slickmachine is right Chad, just plug the bottom end of the lower steering shaft above the u-joint. Doesn't matter if the foam fills a bit or most of the lower shaft, the grease will compensate to fill the rest of it.
    Also there is no need to remove any bolts to perform this modification, unless you prefer to plug the lower shaft from the top but it's not nessescary.
    Skinner

PS. I do not mention removing any bolts to accomplish this mod. Read again please if u are not sure of yourself.
    Last edited by skinner; 11-16-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: more info

another satisfied modder here worked for me too
    2004 Silverado 1500 2wd Ext. Cab

I had the clunk on my 99 nbs back in 03 and took it in to the dealer, they said that there was a tsb? about adding a grease fitting. I could never figure out where they put it. I'll have to look at it again tomorrow to see if that is where they put it,if not i WILL be adding one. Thanks for the fix.

It worked. My truck isnt a POS anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by muellerja1 View Post
    It worked. My truck isnt a POS anymore.
    Thats great, ilove to see that it's working for everyone who tries it.
    Saving many people a lot of cash too.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... Last Post byLast Post by