GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

just did this fix last night! ( the grease fitting one)
    and so far although i havent been on the same spots where i hear the noise it does seem a bit quieter, a few more days will tell, but if not then ill just add more grease obviously,
    great thread!
    my only question is.... because i like to understand everything i do to anything, is...
    so we fill this shaft with grease, but where is this so called spline that it is lubricating? because from what i see under my hood this shaft is linked on both ends so basically all this grease is doing is filling up the hollow space???
    and fyi mine is the rack and pinion steering if that makes any difference, because i saw someone mention pitman arm in an earlier post, and that doesnt apply to me
    Last edited by reggiecab2000; 03-18-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

I will be doing this sometime this week!...the grease zerk one

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Just performed the grease fitting fix last week - put on about 1,000 kms (around 600 mi) on the weekend, including some pretty rough off-roading and the steering clunk is GONE. I just used some Quaker State all purpose grease for my fix. Thanks to GMTC members for the fix - I will be directing my mechanic to this thread so he can help others with the same problem!

Guys, I've done a bit of research on this fix, and although it does rid your truck of that annoying rattle, it's not necessarily a good idea. Here's why: The shaft is designed so that in a front-end collision, the shaft will collapse in on itself, reducing the risk of the driver getting injured by the shaft coming through the steering wheel.

I have to admit, though, Skinner's done a great job on his how-to. I, however, won't be doing this mod to my truck. What I chose to do instead was an even simpler, and 100% FREE fix to solve the problem (at least for now).

About me, I'm Marc, I live in Denver and work for Union Pacific Railroad. I drive a 2004 Silverado 1500 Z71 with approximately 107k. I bought my truck in January of 2008 and it had roughly 45k. At around 65k, I started noticing the infamous "clunk" when turning at low speeds and thought I'd blown a CV or something worse. I took it to 3 mechanics that told me it was not anything in the front end. The last mechanic told me to look into replacing the ISS and that GM issued several Technical Service Bulletins (but no recalls...hmmm) to fix the problem. Problem was, that I was out of warranty by then and the TSB's are not recalls so you either have your warranty cover it, or your wallet covers it.

So after about 2 years and 80k, I stumble upon this forum and read with great enthusiasm about Skinner's fix and how for under $10 it really saves the day. I called a few reputable front end shops in town and ask them their thoughts on the process, and they all agreed that although it fixes the noise problem, it does, however, increase the risk of the shaft not being able to properly do it's intended job.

So I took the advice of another member here and in under 15 minutes, and for absolutely NO COST, I re-lubricated the upper portion of the intermediate steering shaft. Here's the video...

I want everyone to know, especially Skinner, that I'm in no way trying to troll or come off like a jerk. I wanted to put this out there for those that may not have the mechanical aptitude or confidence, and to inform everyone.

I have helped my father fix his on his 2003 silverado and all we did was take the steering collum apart and grease the joints and reinstall it
    2008 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab Z71
    K&N Air Filter
    HID Low Beams

Quote Originally Posted by ptfeman View Post
    Skinner has a great idea, but I have taken it one step further. Mark shafts with permanent mark of some kind so you can reinstall without turning 180 degrees. On upper shaft, tap and drill your 1/4-28 hole. Remove bolt and nut and drop lower shaft out of way.

Attachment 19273

Rinse out with brake clean or any good cleaner to remove any traces of grease and metal shavings. Remove u-shaped spacer.

Attachment 19274Attachment 19275

Using any good quality sealant or silicone RTV, you are going to fill up in the upper shaft above the bolt hole but under the 1/4 inch drilled hole with sealant, being sure to leave your drilled hole free of sealant. Next gently reinstall the u-shaped spacer, being careful not to shove it up in too far. It should be flush with the bottom of the shaft. Fill in area around u-shaped spacer with sealant. Wipe off excess.

Attachment 19276

Reinstall lower shaft, install bolt and nut. Make sure there is no sealant in the 1/4 inch hole. If so, clean out with small screwdriver. Install zerk fitting (grease nipple) and let set 24 hours if possible for sealant to cure/harden. Grease enough to fill shaft into spline area, or until clunk goes away. This method will eliminate the waste of grease by letting you save about 80% of it. Recommend using a high quality grease, ptfe or moly. Don't recommend using cheap dollar a tube grease. You get what you pay for.

Signed up on the forum to say thanks for the fix. I used the method above and worked great, nice firm clunk-free steering!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112