GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why would a mustang sound better than my truck?

So I was sitting at a red light the other day and this mustang pulled up next to me and started revving his engine. I'm still not really sure why, but I really don't care. My question is, why would his 4.6L sound so much deeper and throatier than my 4.8L?? Is there anything that I can install that will make my truck sound throatier, but keep it street legal, I don't want anything that I'm going to have to take off to get my truck inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Custom04Chevy View Post
    So I was sitting at a red light the other day and this mustang pulled up next to me and started revving his engine. I'm still not really sure why, but I really don't care. My question is, why would his 4.6L sound so much deeper and throatier than my 4.8L?? Is there anything that I can install that will make my truck sound throatier, but keep it street legal, I don't want anything that I'm going to have to take off to get my truck inspected.

What type of exhaust do you have? What did he have? Apples and oranges most likely.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Legend

its a completely different beast, a truck engine is more restricted so it doesnt rev as freely as a car engine, especially something in a mustang, camaro, corvette, GTO etc. Plus even from the factory on a mustang the exhaust is pretty throaty, a stock exhaust on a GTO is also, why? They design the exhaust at the factory to match the engine. They factor in many things even the harmonics/tone of the exhaust. I remember when the GTO first came to the US a few years back and it had a dual exhaust BUT the pipes came out right next to eachother on one side. There was an article about how much GM/holden had to work to get the exhaust to sound right and not have a horrible sound, if you can find that particular article it explains a lot about that process.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

He had magnaflow and I have flowmaster look alikes. I'm not sure who makes mine, I just know they were about 100 bucks cheaper than flowmaster, and it sounds just as good.

Sr. Mechanic

I have been told that things like the internals of the engine have the most to do with it. Then headers or no headers, length of pipe, type of exhaust, etc.... there is a whole list of things that affect the sound. Even one chevy truck to another has a different sound even with the same exact setup....? One of those mysteries of life! I agree with you though those Mustangs sound soooo good for some reason!
    Be Blessed

You need to remember that a Ford V8 has a different firing order. They will sound different
    from our GM's even with the same exhaust type

Default Exhaust

If you want a great sounding exhaust, try Corsa. I had Corsa on my 2002 Vette and now my 2008 Mustang and they are without doubt, the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard. Don't know what they make for trucks...check them out on line.

I heard that the mustang and harley davison both have a patton on the sound they make so no "nock offs" can be made.

my 03 cobra soundeda whole lot better than my dodge bu my dodge was alot louder cause i ws running a dumb. doesnt matter anyway the way i dive the cobra ou can hea the exhaust ovr the supercharger
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod