GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Electronic brake controllers [Expired Topic]

Does anybody have experience installing thier on electronic trailer brake controller? especially on a 98 Sub. How do I locate the brake wire under the dash.

Not on anything that new. Someone might have a schematic or diagram on here, maybe. ?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

I have installed all of my own brake controllers. I have the schematic, but I'm at work right now. I'll post the link either later tonight, or tomorrow. Does your 'burban have cruise?

Actually...are you refering to your brake switch wire? or the Brake feed that goes to the trailer connector (typically blue about 10ga)?
    Patrick
    Rhode Island

Default Electronic brake controllers

I just pruchased a Tekonsha, Prodigy unit. There isn't an OEM harness to plug in under the dash. I must drill through firewall & hard wire. I am looking for the brake pedal switch wire (cold side). This will signal the controller when braking. Thanks.

Legend

I'm having trouble getting the schematics online. What I can tell you is that the cold side of the brake switch is the white wire. According to the schematic, and the hot side is Orange. Let me know if you need any more assistance. I will try again to get the schematic online for you.

Hey, thanks Patrick. That sounds right because the yard man at the trailer rental place said the same thing. I am kind of anal and needed to get some confirmation. I really am greatful.

We rent a trailer for our summer vacations. Adventure Rentals in Ontario, CA requires an electronic braking system on their larger trailers. So it looks like I am all set to install the Prodigy.

Thanks again,
    Kent.

Jr. Engineer

Hey 98sub, give us a report when you get it finished, I need to do that drill myself. It'd be nice to hear from somebody that has actually done it recently on a similar vehivle. BTW what was the rough cost of that Prodigy system?

Legend

No problem, glad I could help.

I never drilled a hole for the wiring. I punched small hole into a rubber body plug in the firewall, and fed my wiring through there. Saved a whole bunch of trouble, no drilling, no silicone, and is water tight. :D Less risk of the wire coating rubbing on the bare metal, and eventually shorting out.

Sr. Apprentice

Should be able to get the Prodigy for anywhere from $90 to $130. Shop around.
    1999 GMC K2500/454 CID which is used primarily to pull an 8000# travel trailer about 10K miles/year. 4WD w/eletronic transfer case.

Quote Originally Posted by 98sub
    Hey, thanks Patrick. That sounds right because the yard man at the trailer rental place said the same thing. I am kind of anal and needed to get some confirmation. I really am greatful.

We rent a trailer for our summer vacations. Adventure Rentals in Ontario, CA requires an electronic braking system on their larger trailers. So it looks like I am all set to install the Prodigy.

Thanks again,
    Kent.
    Whenever unsure just use a test light. One side of the brake is always live, ignition on or not. Just ground the test light on any good ground and push the point into the plug ends.
    Test light is still the handiest tool in the tool box, even with all this new computer crap. You will never go wrong if you have a spare test light in the glove box, it can be handy for so many things. From testing for a bad fuse to just makeing sure you have juice to a marker light.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.