GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: cold air intake

Default cold air intake

hey i have a 03 chevy 1500 4.8 Vortec looking for opinions on cold air intake.What are some of the better brand? thanks for the help im new to the Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by rholl23 View Post
    hey i have a 03 chevy 1500 4.8 Vortec looking for opinions on cold air intake.What are some of the better brand? thanks for the help im new to the Forum.
    I've always liked K&N products. My 93 has a factory CAI, but I did install a K&N filter. I'm sure others will chime in.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

K&N is good but there are several out there that are just as good with a cheaper price. the only real difference is the filter on the end of the tube aside from that they are all pretty much the same.

I've always been partial to the looks and quality of the Volant, I'm sure the performance is the same as all the others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0423091514a.jpg  
    Adam

Jr. Apprentice

For intakes in general I would say k&n but if its cai you are looking for I would go with Volant

X4 on K&N CAI,But in General most of the CAI's on the market today are Very Good.It really all depends on which one you feel is the best for your ride.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

i had a k&n 57 series on mine when i bought it. didnt change anything, just keep it clean. i love it
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I'm a full supporter of AirAID. I like the look and the performance. Like the others have said, it's a matter of personal preference.
    2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 in Black

6" BDS Suspension Lift | 3" BDS Body Lift |17" Rock Crawler Stellies | 35" Cooper STTs | 4.56 Yukon Gears | AirAid CAI and TBS | Flowmaster 40s | HyperPAC Programmer

2001 TJ Sahara in Sienna

3.5" RE Suspension Lift | 33x12.50 Baja MTZs | D30/44 | ROKMEN Merc Front Bumper | Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier | Warn M8000 Winch

I really like the Volant. But go with the PowerCore filter. There is no oiling required, and you only have to clean it every 100k miles. I've had K&N and the regular Volant Blue filters, and the oiling is really not much fun.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2011 Avalanche LT 5.3L
    Imperial Blue Metallic, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Volant CAI.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreenMachine View Post
    I really like the Volant. But go with the PowerCore filter. There is no oiling required, and you only have to clean it every 100k miles. I've had K&N and the regular Volant Blue filters, and the oiling is really not much fun.
    i dont agree with the whole dry filter thing, yes he is correct, it may not be the most thrilling thing in the world to clean your filter, but atleast you know that that oiled filter is going to collect the absolute smallest of particles b/c it has something wet to cling to. i am not saying the dry filters are not efficient, but i would trust an oiled one for highter protection of my motor. also, the whole 100,000 mile thing...is crap, i dont care what the box says, i am going to clean my filter when it gets dirty and not any later. i would suggest volant simply b/c i think their design will allow for mor cold air in over the k & n 57 seires. i have the k&n, and have pondered the thought of changin to volant. but it is your money, spend it as you see fit

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by