GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Brakes?

Sr. Apprentice

Default Brakes?

How hard is it to change the brakes on an 04 1500 z71, it has disc all around. if there are any write ups the help would be great thanks!

Jolly Green Giant
    2004 Silverado Z71

disk brakes are easy , just don't open up the brake lines at all when you change it and then make sure the brake reservoir is topped off when you are done. take out the keeper bolts flip up the caliper, press in the caliper cylinder put on the new brake pads and bolt everything back in place and then get in your truck and ease down on the brake pedal slowly with just the pressure that your foot being on the pedal puts on it. Then release the pedal and do it again until the pedal is stiff when pressed. Top off the reservoir, then crank up the truck and do a test drive in it to make sure that the brakes will hold the way they are. should be good to go after that. you shouldn't have to open up the brake lines at all.

Sr. Apprentice

someone told me that i needed a specialty tool for 02+ silverados, is that BS or what?

Honestly the only specialty type tool that i know of that you might need is a compression tool for pushing the cylinder back in on the caliper but it's by far not a specialty tool. if there actually is something "special" that you need I am honestly not aware of it. not saying there isn't anything because just because i don't know of anything doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As far as i know though it's pretty much just a straight forward job.

Wait you may have to have someone adjust your ABS through the computer once you have the new brakes on. Mine needed that too once i changed out a wheel cylinder that was leaking, caused my ABS light to blink on some occasions but either wouldn't stay on or reset once i restarted the truck. any GM mechanic can reset that for you though and some brake shops have the computers to plug in and reset the ABS also.

That's the only "special" thing I can think of that they may be talking about though.

I always just use a C-clamp to compress the cylinders whenever I do driveway brake jobs, except on my son's Cadillac where all you have to do is screw the piston in!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by daddytech View Post
    disk brakes are easy , just don't open up the brake lines at all when you change it and then make sure the brake reservoir is topped off when you are done. take out the keeper bolts flip up the caliper, press in the caliper cylinder put on the new brake pads and bolt everything back in place and then get in your truck and ease down on the brake pedal slowly with just the pressure that your foot being on the pedal puts on it. Then release the pedal and do it again until the pedal is stiff when pressed. Top off the reservoir, then crank up the truck and do a test drive in it to make sure that the brakes will hold the way they are. should be good to go after that. you shouldn't have to open up the brake lines at all.
    One other important to remember is to remove some brake fluid from your resivor before you start or you will make a mess when you compress the pistons. What I do is remove all the fluid and compress the pistons. When I'm done I remove whats left and fill the master up with fresh fluid. You should change your brake fluid every 60K or so because it's hydroscopic and will get contaminated with water over a period of time.
    Jim

2004 SILVERADO 2500HD LS
    Pro Comp Leveling Kit
    285-75-16 Cooper ST All Terrains
    Pro Comp Programmer
    Bilstein Shocks
    Linux Bed Liner
    Tinted Windows

Other rides:

1967 Landcruiser <350 Chevy>
    1970 Camaro
    1990 Geo Metro Convertible
    2007 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiee View Post
    One other important to remember is to remove some brake fluid from your resivor before you start or you will make a mess when you compress the pistons. What I do is remove all the fluid and compress the pistons. When I'm done I remove whats left and fill the master up with fresh fluid. You should change your brake fluid every 60K or so because it's hydroscopic and will get contaminated with water over a period of time.

Well you don't want to remove "ALL" of the fluid from the reservoir, some or most should be enough but yes cycling new fluid through the brake system to keep it fresh is a good idea because while i have never gotten water in mine, but it does wear out and become ineffective after a time also. My 89 had bad or really old fluid in it. over time it became degraded because my calipers had gotten hot enough that the brakes actually caught on fire and because of that the fluid boiled and had a bunch of air bubles in it so when it came time to bleed the brakes after replacing the wheel cylinders all the old fluid had to be drained down or cycled through the system before the line could be opened to bleed each caliper and air not come out. I have always been one to suggest that if you don't have to open up the system "don't" that way you don't have to bleed them when you are done. but deffinately draining out a little fluid before you start will help with keeping you from making a mess on your carport or garage floor. I would suggest draining it down just below the full mark on the reservoir. about 1/8th of an inch. and never refil it with old fluid , always put in new. I personally usually put the old fluid in a container and throw it out.