GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: stero question

Default stero question

I have a 08 silverado with on star and my question is would I have to do anyting special to put a 10 inch sub and an amp in it. I want to keep the onstar and the factory deck.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper
    Matching painted front grill and bow ties

Legend

Wire the amp as normal, tap the remote wire for the amp into a fuse that only powers up when the ignition is on, then get a line out converter that would tap into your factory speaker wires and converts that line into an rca output for the amp and your set
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

actually you'd be safer in that truck to run your remote on wire for the amp to the back of your radio (red wire is swicthed and this is the one you plug the amp remote into) ((DO NOT UNPLUG THE STEREO OR YOU'LL HAVE TO GET THE DEALER TO ENTER IN AN UNLOCK CODE FOR YOUR RADIO ....... THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU THIS CODE .... it will cost you for them to put that code in GM has to get theirs you know so save yourself the trouble and don't unplug the wires at all. the line converter is sometimes by Old school installers called a step down or a high/ low converter the newbs just call them line converters now days. I would double check with them to make sure that the wiring scheme hasn't changed just to be sure but the way they have been done since digital radios have been in existance is red is switched power yellow is constant and if you unplug the yellow wire everything resets.
    Keep in mind you may start to notice engine noise while driving once that is put in but if you have a professional installer put it in for you it's thier problem and anythning that develops they'll be able to correct the problem for you. Also they will know what you can and can't put in that truck. depending on how the stereo in that truck is set up you may not be able to use a step down/ line converter without it causing you some major problems. better to let it be someone elses issue even if it costs you a little more than it would to do it yourself it may still be worth letting someone else tackle the problem.

Jr. Apprentice

I ran a 10 inch RF Punch Sub and RF Punch amp with no problems. I did not have do anything to the onstar nor did it mess with it . You should be fine. I would go with the remote for the amp . Saves Power
    Joaquin-Boerne,Texas
    2008 Chevy Siverado LS
    Graystone Metallic
    3 inch lift
    285/70r17 BF A/T Tires
    Moto Metal

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Wire the amp as normal, tap the remote wire for the amp into a fuse that only powers up when the ignition is on, then get a line out converter that would tap into your factory speaker wires and converts that line into an rca output for the amp and your set

which fuse is best for the remote wire? i'll be running 1200w on a rockford t1 12"-- my other truck was the same and i had no problems running it-- end of the lease, had to turn it in... AND one other thing... is there any iPod adapter that will hook up to the factory radio besides the periphereal adapter that comes up on ebay.. looking to not spend another 110 for it.

thanks guys

Check with either crutchfield.com or sonicelectronix.com. sonic has very good prices

Quote Originally Posted by kwconch021 View Post
    which fuse is best for the remote wire? i'll be running 1200w on a rockford t1 12"-- my other truck was the same and i had no problems running it-- end of the lease, had to turn it in... AND one other thing... is there any iPod adapter that will hook up to the factory radio besides the periphereal adapter that comes up on ebay.. looking to not spend another 110 for it.

thanks guys
    Don't wire it to a fuse, you'll do better putting it inline with the switched power wire that goes to your radio. as i said before this should be a red wire on the back of your radio unless GM has changed thier wiring scheme in the newer model trucks. there should be a yellow and red wire that plug into the back of the radio. the red wire is a switched 12volt and the yellow is a constant so would most fuses that you might plug into on the fuse block. if you are jittery about doing this installation yourself any install shop worth thier salt should be able to install that part of your system rather cheaply.

Thumbs down

I did this same thing your talking about & was not happy with the sound quality the quality was lost using the converter to speaker wire to RCA. I'm only mention this cause I wasted money and time on materials that I now have no use for !! By the way I had awful feedback noise and a humming when I mashed the gas.
    2002 Chevy Tahoe 4X4 33's Dick Cepek's Mud Country,3" Rough Country Lift,Black Ultra's 17" wheels,Alpine/Kicker audio system,K&N Cold air intake to much more to list !

Sr. Apprentice

there is no more remote fuses you have to go under the steering column. go to the ignition harness..the wire is brown, its right to the left of the steering colum in the top plug in the BCM, (i believe its a light blue plug) the wire is so dark brown that it almost looks black.. just make sure and test it first. good luck! use a voltometer

Quote Originally Posted by Mattdtrue View Post
    I did this same thing your talking about & was not happy with the sound quality the quality was lost using the converter to speaker wire to RCA. I'm only mention this cause I wasted money and time on materials that I now have no use for !! By the way I had awful feedback noise and a humming when I mashed the gas.
    part of your issue is that it may have been a poor quality step down, that and you have to have a lot of really good grounds for everything. You cannot use a painted surface and get a good ground , it has to be bare metal to metal for a good ground connection. I personally used my seat mounts and removed the seat to put the ground in and scraped the metal under the mount to get a really good connection.

you might also add some ground wires to the motor, like from the heads to ground, intake to ground and other blocks to ground. those things will help with the likes of radio noise and if it's done right will also help with unthought of things like mileage, power etc. ( actually had an engineer show me the difference on a car he had tons of ground wires on, it really does make a difference)