GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 20's vs 22's

Thumbs up 20's vs 22's

Hey again guys a new set of rims and tires are gonna be my next upgrade, I need an answer I have a 05 silverado single cab with the 4.3 v6. I really would like a set of 22's but everyone tells me it will lug the motor and transmission down to much, plus the 22's would fill out the fenderwell better. I have a hypertech hyperpac programmer that can be set for 22's or what ever size wheel I put on it but would the 20's be better with bigger tires? I don't wanna look like a monster truck comin down the road someone help anyone out there with a silverado 4.3 on 22's? 20's Feel free to share opinions thanks in advance guys

Bigger isn't always better !!!!!!!!

Trucks need the sidewall for the better ride quality so I'd personally stay away from the rubberband tires.

personally i know several people with 22's on 4.3 trucks and they do slow your acceleration quite a bit but your engine can definately handle it. aluminum wheels would be the way for you to go but they are WAAAY too expensive. i've run 2 different sets of 22's on my truck with rubberband tires and they do ride rough as hell but don't they just look so GOOD!!.... in the end you have to make the decision between COMFORT or LOOKS, and remember to do what YOU like the best!... oh and i suggest a medium sized tire, say 265/35 or so, for low-pro looks and still have good ride!

i forgot, go with 9" wide wheels. DON'T buy 10" wide wheels. and do your homework on offsets so you can tuck them easily.
    Last edited by 1_low_rider; 05-12-2009 at 11:18 PM.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg G View Post
    Bigger isn't always better !!!!!!!!

Trucks need the sidewall for the better ride quality so I'd personally stay away from the rubberband tires.
    x2 for the 20s. check out performanceplustire.com .. wheels, tires, AND packages for your specific vehicle by size or brand. they also filter out what they say wont fit [but i think theyre wrong on a few bc im pretty sure the wheels listed below will fit my truck no prob]

i think 20s give our silverados a more sporty look over 22s. 22s will weigh u down and wear your tread faster resulting in more frequent tire buys. if u have rough roads those oh so pretty & shiny 22s will get dinged and dented.

wheelenvizio.com is a site that allows u to view any wheel sorted by brand and size on your specific vehicle. you can customize anything from color to suspension height. hope these sites help

im in the process as well, im looking for 18s..im interested in the Ultra type 185 baja champs black with a polished lip.. seen here http://www.ultrawheel.com/wheel_deta...brand=1&id=150

im not planning on lifting until my warranty runs out bc a lift will void it from what i understand. so im leaving my suspension factory. my truck is white so i think the white on black look will go well. and the chrome lug cap would look good over the black wheel ever notice your local police car wheels?? yeaahhh..... same concept..

im going for a sleeper/undercover look.. the 18s are 8.5" wide which i think u can run a 275/60/18.. would this tire size be right? if not which would? and i should be able to throw them on my 06 crew cab 2wd 5.3 no problems right?? i just want a black rim with a wider tire to fill in my wells some more so i dont have those pizza cutter tires.

20's with 265's my opinion.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Thanks for all the help guys! I appreciate the responses I will be making a choice soon!!

20s with 275/45/20 Friend of mine has a 03 with this size and the rear leveled and it looks great. 22s are to big and they really slow you vehicle down. I wish I would have went with 22s for looks but the fact of the matter is it would have hurt my performance and i wanted performance.
    08 silverado
    K&N cai
    single in dual out cherry bomb pro
    leveling kit
    custom painted bow ties
    Bed liner
    Tinted windows
    20inch Cruser Alloy Switchblades
    Goodyear Eagle GT2 285/50/20
    1 truly heavy foot + Wait4meperformance SCT Handheld
    100 shot of Nitrous Dyno tune system
    SS front bumper