GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default motorcycle hauling [Resolved]

Just wandering if any of you have any experince hauling a motorcycle in the back of your truck for a distance.Going from pa to wyoming would like to take my BMW R1200R with me in the back of truck.Bike's rear tire will sit on tail gate for sure,bike weigh's almost 500 lb's any thought's or sugestion's.Thanks for your input.

I have hauled my Honda around. Mine will fit diagonally in the bed.
    If you can't haul it that way I'd make sure my gate cables were in very good shape.
    Seriously, I'd make a rear tire mount bracket that hooks to my hitch receiver and leave the gate at home or slide it in the bed beside the bike.
    Get yourself 4 ratcheting tie down straps and 4 point it to the bed.

How did you make out hauling your bike?

I have purchased a ramp to help with loading and unloading.Haul bike around for 3 days here to see how it all worked, went great.Leaving for Wyoming Sunday Morn From Central pa. Be back end of June.Will update after that.

Jr. Engineer

I dont know i would put it in at a angle so you could close the tail gate. All i want to know is can i come. I am from central pa

Sorry it took so long to update post,Trip went well no problems at all.Bike's rear wheel sat on the tail gate about midway, it never moved.I had 4 tie downs holding it I would check for looseness at stops they all stayed secured. Put 4600 miles on avalanche 625 miles on bike. Stayed at KOA'S every night in one of there cabin's.Seen some great site's for sure.My wife and I are very glad we did the trip this way had the best of both worlds great truck which average 18.5 mile's to the gallon,great bike which average 46 mpg.

Master Mechanic

i brother took my truck from illinios to north carolina to get his 1000rr a year or so ago and put in my truck at an angle and it road and drove fine

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

That BMW is a fairly big bike. I have an VTX1800 . weighs about 800 lbs. almost killed myself putting it in because of the angel of the ramp. got it in and it sat with the wheel right at the end of the gate. tried on an angel same thing. had to get a trailer.

I know this is an old post, but for anyone else looking to load your bike into a truck let me pass along a little trick. Find an area where the road is about 2 feet higher than the field or lot beside it. This is very common in the country. Back your truck to the shoulder of the road until the rear tires are at the lowest point. That usually puts the tailgate very close to the shoulder of the road kinda like a loading dock, then you can use a 2x6 or ramp to span the gap! That way you aren't having to push the heavy bike up a short steep ramp and you can actually ride it into the truck.

Of course you will need a buddy to drive your truck to the location but for safety sake it's good to have some help anyway. I've used this method many times over the years with my old 76 Harley and have never had a problem.

2009 Crew Cab Colorado
    Lowered 3" front and back
    Xenon body kit (sides only) with stock bumpers
    Snug Fit smooth side cap
    Custom paint
    Custom powder coated Boss 20" rims
    Toyo tires