GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 Chevy tahoe shuts off when the turn signal is used.

Hello,

I have a 99 chevy tahoe that just recently started doing some weird things. A couple times the car has shut off and all the lights on the display come on when I use the turn signals. I had to go out of town for a few days and I left her parked at the airport for two day, when I returned she did not want to start. The starter clicked but nothing happened. Almost as if the battery was completely drained. I waited a few minutes and it started right up. I am planning on taking her to pep boys and having them check my battery charge as well as my charging system.

Assuming the battery and charging system are ok what else would you guys suggest I check? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by electricart View Post
    Hello,

I have a 99 chevy tahoe that just recently started doing some weird things. A couple times the car has shut off and all the lights on the display come on when I use the turn signals. I had to go out of town for a few days and I left her parked at the airport for two day, when I returned she did not want to start. The starter clicked but nothing happened. Almost as if the battery was completely drained. I waited a few minutes and it started right up. I am planning on taking her to pep boys and having them check my battery charge as well as my charging system.

Assuming the battery and charging system are ok what else would you guys suggest I check? Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I would clean the battery terminals real good first and then get the alternator tested.
    I had that happen to me one time I pressed the horn one night and everything went haywire then shut off cleaned the terminals and it helped me to get home but it was my alternator failing and it was not charging the battery so under drain there wasnt enought juice to keep it running.
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT

just a thought, does the truck have an anti-theft system?? i had a couple wires to get skinned in the steering column a few years ago and it was tripping my anti-theft and shutting the truck off. not saying thats what your problem is, but it could be possible....when it happened to me i spent over $700 changing the obvious problems i thought it was, and it ended up costing me $30 for the local mechanic to find it after i wasted all that money on parts that werent bad.....it does sound very probable that the alternator regulator is bad also, that would have your charging system all messed up.
    Scott-Mississippi
    1996 Silverado
    *Mostly stock for now
    *Soon to be airbag project..

Default Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you to those of you that replied. I appreciate your comments. I cleaned the battery post as suggested. It has not done it since.

I am having the systems checked on Saturday, I will post an update after I find out if my charging system is functioning properly.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by electricart View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to those of you that replied. I appreciate your comments. I cleaned the battery post as suggested. It has not done it since.

I am having the systems checked on Saturday, I will post an update after I find out if my charging system is functioning properly.

Thanks.
    Great to hear! sometimes its the simplest of things that can side line ya, keep us posted!
    My trucks!

1996 GMC Suburban SLT
    1997 GMC Yukon SLT