GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Canada

Jr. Mechanic

has to be more people than this from the Atlantic Provinces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default starter troubles

My '01 Silverado is going click click click trying to start it. I attempted the old tried and true method of whacking the solenoid but no go. First lets just make it clear... I'm not a mechanic. Over the weekend I took off the starter, two bolts came out no problem, the large brass nut came off no problem, in the process of removing the small nut...and snapped off the terminal post. No choice now but to pick up another one. Any recommendations from other east coasters on where to buy (best prices). Should I get new or chance it with used? Not sure what you'd need to know other than its a 8.1L.
    2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ LML MW7 GT4 Steel Green Metallic, Ext Cab, Standard box
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?46818-2011-Silverado-LTZ-1500-on-order!-Anybody-else

Just an update, I purchased a new starter at CanTire, Champion brand, for $169 with core return factored in ($75 rebate). Comes with three year warr. The parts guys first brought me a starter which he said "That's what it says on the computer." BUT it was the same. Casting was identical, the wire housing was about 20% smaller and most importantly, there were only 7 teeth on that cog that contacts the flywheel. The original had 11 teeth..."one of these things is not like the other..." The young fella didn't know much really, he had a hard enough time generating an invoice so we had to get a mechanic to come out and tell him which one to go get. I'm no mechanic myself but I figure if something comes out of an engine, it should look pretty much the same going back in.
    2011 Silverado 2500HD LTZ LML MW7 GT4 Steel Green Metallic, Ext Cab, Standard box
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?46818-2011-Silverado-LTZ-1500-on-order!-Anybody-else

Jr. Mechanic

Yes U'r right,replacement part should be the same as the one taken out..CTC not for me for those reasons.

I put the starter back in but I'm still not getting anywhere. I still get the click click click. :( Someone told me it might be the starter relay. Where would I find that? Follow the wire off of the posi terminal?

I'm from Fredericton New Brunswick

hi everyone I am fron Stellarton, Pictou County ns

Im from wallace n.s.

Jr. Engineer

From Kingston, ON but just moved to Halifax! Are there any mudding events or anything of the sort out here? I would assume there are but figured this is the best place to ask
    SEAFOAM, I PUT THAT @#!$ IN EVERYTHING!

2004 Silverado LS 5.3L Z71 Crew Cab
    260,000+ km

Saint John NB
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast