GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default adding a 2nd battery

What would I need to buy to add a 2nd battery to my truck? Im putting a big sound system in my truck here in about 2 weeks. I was looking at the Yellow top optima batterys. Thanks.
    Bagged 06 Silverado Crew Cab.

Legend

If you are getting this installed at a custom shop they can do it, otherwise both jcwhitney and stylintrucks sell prefab kits for it, that way its warrantied if something fails and damages your stereo
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend
    Blog Entries

I don't know anything about stereo stuff, but I have had Optima batteries in the past. They got bought out by another company and there quality isn't what it used to be, I have also been told that you cannot use a standard charger with those batteries that basically you'll end up with a dead cell in a short period of time. Mine didn't last 4 months before burning out, and the I bought a second one and it did the same thing. I wasted $400 on batteries and got burned bad, they are nice for not having the danger of leaking battery acid but other than that they weren't any good for me. I am back to my old Wal-mart special, good luck with your stereo.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

wow talk about bad luck with battery's i had my first yellow top last 6 years before it died and used a regular charger on it many times during those years and it was an awesome battery went and got a new yellow top when the old died will have to see how far this one goes as for a heavy sound system all i have is one battery and an higher amp alt that takes care of pretty much every thing your model of truck has a heavy duty option and gm does have a cable that will allow you to put in and use 2 battery's at the same time
    Last edited by grimreapersshadow; 05-15-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks for all the replys. I went and bought a optima yellow top today. My brother had 3 of them for his sound system that he had and they all worked fine. Umm where would you guys recomend mounting it at under the hood. I was thinking about moving the factory battery to a different area and then sticking the optima in the factory location.

Legend

I know my suburban already has a second try from the factory because of the diesel option but not sure how much room you have under the hood for two.

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    I know my suburban already has a second try from the factory because of the diesel option but not sure how much room you have under the hood for two.
    Ill take a pic afterwhile.

Jr. Mechanic

Had a bad experience with Optima. Interstate for me is the way to go. Never had one single problem with them. As far a a second battery, i know my Suburban has a small compartment in the engine that can be used to house a second battery.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I don't know anything about stereo stuff, but I have had Optima batteries in the past. They got bought out by another company and there quality isn't what it used to be, I have also been told that you cannot use a standard charger with those batteries that basically you'll end up with a dead cell in a short period of time. Mine didn't last 4 months before burning out, and the I bought a second one and it did the same thing. I wasted $400 on batteries and got burned bad, they are nice for not having the danger of leaking battery acid but other than that they weren't any good for me. I am back to my old Wal-mart special, good luck with your stereo.
    Man, I feel you. AutoZone said because my year was up, they wouldn't give me a new one. All they wanted to do was recharge it and I knew that it wasn't holding the charge well at all. I dropped the battery on the floor and told them to keep it. I know damn well they not gonna be able to recharge and sell that one as used!

Legend
    Blog Entries

See I knew that I wasn't the only person with problems with the Optima batteries, I look at it this way. I can buy 7 Duralast batteries for what I paid for those two yellow top batteries, , I am running a ton of lights and crap too so if those duralast of any other battery's last for longer than the 6 months the Optima did I'm happy! I can understand with the audio stuff that it draws a lot, I just hope you have better luck than I did!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by